A Curly Maple Jewelry Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmosheim

Established Member
Reaction score
We recently finished this curly maple jewelry cabinet. It has eight velvet bottomed, removeable, sidehung drawers/trays with removable dividers, a stool, and a mirror inside. It was an interesting and challenging project. My younger son Will did an excellent job with the building and finishing of it … I did the drawings with the clients and talked him through it from time to time, but mostly, he was pretty much on his own with it … He did a great job …There are more and larger photos as well as a cad drawing and process descriptions on mydorset custom furniture blog here's the link http://dorsetcustomfurniture.blogspot.com/2010/01/jewelry.html

jewelry%20three%201%2028.jpg

jewelry%20one%201%2028.jpg

and another post here of the finished piece http://dorsetcustomfurniture.blogspot.com/2010/01/finished-jewelry-cabinet.html

jewelry%20four%201%2028.jpg

jewelry%201.jpg

OMG!

That is absolutely stunning. Very early American looking, reminds me of something you'd see in American Woodworking. nice job.

Does anyone know where curly/tiger maple can be obtained this side of the pond? I'd settle for ripple sycamone...

Aidan

Great piece, very striking. Enjoyed looking at your blogspot too.
Nice and bright and fresh looking and very clearly laid out.

woodsworth":38nu4xhm said:
OMG!

That is absolutely stunning. Very early American looking, reminds me of something you'd see in American Woodworking. nice job.

That's because it is American. Dan only comes here to spam his blog every so often

Aidan, Timberline will certainly stock this sort of stuff, but hold on to your hat when he tells you the price. It might be better to think about veneering if you want to use this lovely timber.

I love the design, but I must say that the colour spoils it for me. The mid brown slightly yellow colour makes that lovely rippled wood look blotchy.

I like the colour! I was wondering what combination of stains and varnishes you used to get that deep honey hue?

From the blog:

He has been building the layers of aniline dye, gel stain,varnish and polish

I guess the dye was used to pop the figure, then sandaded back and the stain to give the deep colour? Ive never managed to get that deep holographic effect in the curls like I wanted, so I wondered how the pros did it? :)

frugal":2fhdih73 said:
I love the design, but I must say that the colour spoils it for me. The mid brown slightly yellow colour makes that lovely rippled wood look blotchy.

I agree

This is clearly a good piece, but one thing just hit me in the face as soon as I saw it. If you look at the arrangement of the grain pattern on the two top drawers in the stand... IMO they should have been reversed. Then the grain pattern on all four drawers would have been sloping in unison.
A little detail, but it's crucial in a piece like this and in my mind is what spoils it for me - Rob...with his JK hat on

I think it was probably done on purpose Rob, to create a chevron pattern. But I do agree, it would have been better for them to match the drawers below.

wizer":1h4qk795 said:
I think it was probably done on purpose Rob, to create a chevron pattern. But I do agree, it would have been better for them to match the drawers below.
Maybe your eyes are better than mine Tom, but I can't see a chevron pattern anywhere :duno: ...the drawers just look mismatched to me - Rob

I see what you mean, Tom, but the 4 smaller drawers all have their grain in the same orientation, so the top 2 large drawers look a bit odd. I think that is what Rob meant.

Although there is clearly some very good work in the piece, I'm afaid I find it quite hideous myself.

Dave

I wonder if Dan will bother to come back and engage in conversation about his work? (he doesn't often).

I would like to know the reason behind the 'Chevron Theory'.

Something else that crossed my mind. I'm not sure I'd like to know a lady (making the obvious assumption that it's for a female) that owned enough jewellery to fill such a monstrosity. ;)

Dan does some lovely work, I'm not knocking the craftsmanship.

yes, absolutely. I was merely suggesting that it may have been intentional. I agree with your opinion of the piece.

Back