A curious thing to find on a screwdriver...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a perfect pattern screwdriver at a car boot sale a couple of weeks ago, no make on it and it was plenty rusty. The scales were wrecked so I have just removed them to fit new ones I'll knock up from some scrap ABW.

No funny business up to now, until I took a wire brush to the powdery rust which had formed under the old wood scales, at which point this emerged from the gloom...

045.jpg

Any thoughts?

A lot of the Perfect handle screwdrivers were made in Germany and are sometimes known as German Pattern screwdrivers.

That being said...the Swastika was only briefly, but notoriously associated with the Nazi party.

In fact...it has been around for much longer and actually means "lucky object" in Sanskrit!

Jim

On reflection, I think Chrispy and Jim have hit the nail on the head, that it is likely a production mark from the war years or just before. I wondered about Buffum tools, but I'm not sure this was their sort of thing, and it wasn't in a place, i.e. completely hidden from view, that a trademark would be found.

T'was a bit of a shock though! :shock:

Has the image been reversed? coz that looks like an anti clockwise swastika which would not be the Nazi version.

More likely made in India or simply using the asian lucky symbolism
My 1930's German tools have the DRGM design registration mark - nothing more sinister
Matt

Shrubby":1p6ymo64 said:
More likely made in India or simply using the asian lucky symbolism
My 1930's German tools have the DRGM design registration mark - nothing more sinister
Matt

I have been thinking about this...and the Nazis weren't exactly hiding their symbolism....

spiegel3_1937a.jpg

...so I think if it were made to tweek the engine of a Panzerkampfwagen...it would have been emblazened in a more obvious place.... :wink:

Jim

I think when the '22' is given a good wire-brushing it'll eventually show up as 'SS'; and Scouse should come clean and show us the rest of his grandad's wartime memorabilia. ;)

jimi43":1nwc0lbk said:
A lot of the Perfect handle screwdrivers were made in Germany and are sometimes known as German Pattern screwdrivers.

That being said...the Swastika was only briefly, but notoriously associated with the Nazi party.

In fact...it has been around for much longer and actually means "lucky object" in Sanskrit!

Jim

Isn't the swa$tika also a sign of Peace, when drawn the other way around; I.e., The points facing to the left.
Or is that a myth?
John

Benchwayze":29c08u0k said:
Isn't the swa$tika also a sign of Peace, when drawn the other way around; I.e., The points facing to the left.

I thought so too, but wikipedia seems to think different.

Latest posts

Back