A Chinese cookery question please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
If there is one thing I can't get enough of it's Yuk Sung...

I found a nice recipe on t'internet, but in restaurants they usually serve it with heaps of some dried, white curly stuff. I just can't remember what it's called. I just know it goes with the Yuk Sung and gets everywhere when you eat it! But it makes the dish something special.

I would imagine I can get some in packets, but I need to know what to ask for, rather than wander around in the store in a daze! :lol:

Does anyone know of what I speak please?

TIA
Regards
John :)

The little white things are made from the same stuff as prawn crackers. I don`t know what they are called but if you go to Wing Yip in Saltley they are bound to have some and if you ask they will point you in the right direction.
HTH.

Piggy.

Ps. With regards to your avatar and place name, why not use the old spelling of Brymincham ?

Thanks fellas.

I suspected they were similar to Prawn Crackers, as they had a similar testure. (MSG I suppose! ) Still they add a lot to the Yuk Sung. Next time I go to Bufffet Island, I'll ask.

The last time I went to Wing Yip Piggy, I got lost in Aston!
Half the road names are missing, and virtually all of the landmarks I knew have gone. It was an alien lanscape to me.

There are various names for Birmingham.

Brumingaham, (Home of the Brums) is a very old one. Brum of course and Brummagem. The Liverpudlians call it Bermingham. Coventrians call it Burmingum, and lots of BBC presenter call it Burningham.. Are they trying to tell us something? But I'd have to ask Carl Chinn about "Brymincham", because for all the years I lived there, I never heard that one! :D

So you taught me something. On the other hand, if I didn't know the name it's a safe bet I would be answering constant questions about it.!

The avatar is of my daughter's dog, 'Flossie' (Sadly, no longer with us) so I can't quite make the connection with the dog and Brum!

I'm obliged to you both.
Thanks again

Regards

Hi Bench,

I too got lost in Aston whilst going to Wing Yip. I think it`s the law that having once known the area, you must then return and drive round in circles for an hour. As for Brymincham, of which there are a number of spellings, it is an older name than Brummagem. In fact, Brummagem is just a variation on the pronnunciation of it, and is where the word Brummies originates. I`m sure that Prof Chin could elaborate for ages on the subject, he sometimes gets on Radio WM and does his stuff. And which bit of the city do you hail from ?

You mean you don't just follow the smell of the gas works to Saltley or the Trams to the bottom of the Rock, or have to watch out for the Tram track turn off to Washwood Heath to catch your wheel in. :lol:

Ah, those were the days. The smell of the gas works, corporation buses and Midland Red. Sneaking in to the Beaufort cinema to watch your first `X` film. Boating in Washwood Heath Park. And wondering if the Blues would avoid relegation.

:D

Piggy

If you went via the 'Rock' CH , you would be in another part of town. However, around North Birmingham, all roads lead to Villa Park, \:D/

So yep. That would do it!:lol:

\:D/ Note the new avatar Piggy!
:lol:
John

Benchwayze":38nfcmxn said:
If you went via the 'Rock' CH , you would be in another part of town.

I did say the Bottom of the Rock, which to me was the start of Alum Rock Road just over the Saltley Viaduct. (Grandparents lived in Maitland Rd. )
I was speaking from the perspective of taking the 'Bus from the Minories by Lewis' or the Tram from Martinau? Street.

Ah, Mr Bench. Now i wonder how many people who have not read this thread will know just where Brymincham is.
As for the Villa.
I am an agnostic as far as football is concerned, however, inmy past i have been to a few matches involving Villa.
1974 ? League cup final against Norwich....... Villa lost.
198* ? can`t remember which year exactly, Villa versus Arsenal. Villa lost 4 - 0.
Mrs Pig thought it might be interesting to see a premiership match as we both have fantasy football teams in a league at her place of work. So a chap where i work, season ticket holder in the Holte end, got us tickets to see the Liverpool game just after xmas. The coldest night of the year, blowing a blizzard, but we really enjoyed it. oh, nearly forgot. Villa lost........

What do you mean - Jonah ?

I`ve just got next seasons fixture list and am open to bribes to stay away from any matches.
£ 50 for Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal
£25 for the rest except
£100 for Blues/Wolves/W.Brom.

Piggy

Piggy

I'd be happy if you went to every Villa game. :lol:

CHJ":2qilttit said:
Benchwayze":2qilttit said:
If you went via the 'Rock' CH , you would be in another part of town.

I did say the Bottom of the Rock, which to me was the start of Alum Rock Road just over the Saltley Viaduct. (Grandparents lived in Maitland Rd. )
I was speaking from the perspective of taking the 'Bus from the Minories by Lewis' or the Tram from Martinau? Street.

Ahh The trams! With the reversible seats!

I seem to recall the Washwood Heath 'buses went out of city via the old Stafford Street. Can't say where we caught the 'bus though. (Mind you that is going back to the 50's! ) I had an Aunt we used to visit in WH! So that's what I seem to remember Chas.

Regards
John :D

Gary":2lhcu6nb said:
Piggy

I'd be happy if you went to every Villa game. :lol:
There speaks a 'Bloonoze'?

And to think I shout for all Midland teams except when they play the Villa!

:( :( :(

I am wounded Sir... wounded! :lol:

Regards

Benchwayze":1nysa9uy said:
I had an Aunt we used to visit in WH! So that's what I seem to remember Chas.

Me too, she lived almost opposite the gates into the Nuffield factory.

Used to walk over to The WH Park from the top of the rock sometimes with other cousins when on a visit.

After Late 1945 I lived on a farm half way between Ombersley and Stourport on Severn.

At 9-10 yr old used to cycle 2 1/2 miles to bus (worcester-kidderminster)and leave bike at farm and catch whichever direction came first and then on to B'ham via Worc. kiddy or stourbridge, how things have changed.

Yup Chas.. And look where you now live!
Gorgeous place..Some of my best paintings (In my view) were made in the Cotswolds!
:lol:

John

Back