A cart for my planer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8squared

Established Member
Reaction score
Since having my planer it has sat on my work top... The bed being at an un-nerving 4' 2".

I've longed for the day it was gone and that day was today... Thanks to having finished the garden decking thus giving me an outdoor space to work with.

Of course it started with the supplies...

1/2" ply sheet and scrap 1/4" piece.
8' 2x4"
8' 4x1's
8' 2x2"
50mm castors with rubber wheels... 2 braked.

1D8pAH.jpg

15VCK8.jpg

cut6DU.jpg

A basic frame simply screwed together... It's 19" high.

CIfhL2.jpg

Plywood cut and installed on base, a little off square but nothing drastic.

XUPpyH.jpg

Sides and top added... I may put in mini shelves or fit strips across so I can hang things on.

EVyFsb.jpg

lDdwEO.jpg

After fitting the 1/2" top I placed planer on top and gave it a try, with the planer bed now at a healthy and user friendly 3'.

With the job done I wheeled it into my workshed only to have the wheels fall in the gap between door and decking causing planer to topple over thankfully I caught it in time... So I thought it best to fix it down.

Having removed the rubber feet, marked and drilled the holes I added extra strips underneath before using longer bolts to fix it in place.

qQR91z.jpg

As for the middle my original idea was to use it as a storage bin if I cover one side... But I'm sure although it's only small I will fill it with junk and have to pull everything out for one item...

So I was thinking fit a centre section from front to back (handles being front) then make deep shelves either side... Or I could make drawers... Still undecided.

Now I've just got to keep my fingers crossed SWMBO isn't too annoyed at the chippings on HER decking.

Today I decided to go with drawers.

Usually I butt joint a frame and screw a ply wood base to the bottom...

I did have to butt joint the drawers together as I couldn't get my drill in place to screw the pocket holes however I fitted the plywood base by means of a dado.

For runners I bought 3/4 extending ball bearing type cheap but work very well.

The drawers are 12" in length with 8" extended 4" hidden... 3 3/4" deep.

Simple drawers and simple to build but it's usually something I mess up or bodge... This time I'm actually very happy.

ijiSRM.jpg

Latest posts

Back