A busy weekend

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this weekend turned out nice for you, very satisfying to see projects through to the end in a short space of time.

I quite agree - three very nice looking pieces :D (Although if I had to pick a favourite,the mallet just edges in)

Was the cocobolo as dusty to work as it is rumoured to be ?

Andrew

Very nice Johnboy. I really like these end grain chopping boards, lovely. Wish I had scraps like those!

Bob

Love the chopping board.
How did you make it? long strips then cut and block up?
what did you use to finish it

Neil

Thanks for the comments. The cocobolo was easy to turn, came of the gouge in ribbons. Didn't seem to be any more dusty than other timbers. I had to sand it off the lathe sanding along the grain, couldn't get rid of the scratches across the grain on the lathe even with 400 grit abrasive.

To make the chopping board I cut strips 30mm x 35mm x150 long and glued these up in strips of seven (the width of the finished board). When dry these were surface planed down to 30mm thick and cut into 40mm strips(the thickness of the board), these were then glued up to make the finished board. Fair bit of work with the belt sander to smooth both sides (didn't someone on here run one through his surface planer to do this, braver than me :shock: ) I used pinkgrip D4 grade adhesive and finished it with an Organoil food safe oil.

John

Lovely. My favourite is the chopping board - all those gorgeous contrasting woods.

Johnboy,
nice work - It will be interesting to see how the different woods in the chopping board wear down after a few years.

Andy

Latest posts

Back