A bed for my son

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALMALEKI

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking of making a bed for my son. Something to show him how much I love him. Something special.

This clip is from Samurai Carpenter who is making a bed for his boy.
https://samuraicarpenter.com/a-bed-for-my-boy/

He is using router and circular saw and so but I intend to do everything by hand.

I am struggling to find the timbers for this bed.

I appreciate advice from any of the members on the timber choice and where to buy them from.

Thank you in advance

Saeid

That is one very heavy bed! I think you would have to find a sawmill if you wanted to copy that design and to do it all by hand would be a labour of love. Good luck but I would be looking for a lot lighter design.

When our kids were very young I made them bunk beds that were designed for a 2'6" mattress but adapted them to take a 3'0" mattress. They were great until we moved house and wouldn't go through the door opening :oops:

Regards Keith

I agree with Keith. That's an incredibly heavy design, and having a solid platform where the mattress sits won't allow the mattress to breathe, plus there is so much timber in it that it will cost a lot just in raw materials.

It's a great idea to make furniture for your kids, but I think there are better designs to use.

Good luck!

The bed is done and I am posting a photo here.

Attachments

• 5FD3C6E8-C463-4436-A28C-023F48380F28.jpeg
    5FD3C6E8-C463-4436-A28C-023F48380F28.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 466
looks good from what I can see, nice to see solid wood used, what species is it?

thetyreman":ahboxta9 said:
looks good from what I can see, nice to see solid wood used, what species is it?

It is Tulipwood. Main frame is joined with through mortise with hidden dovetail, secured with wedges.

Latest posts

Back