90 minutes of turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Ignoring the obvious safety issues in the comments on that video, Could someone tell what that monster tool is he used to true the bowl ?

To me it looked more like a metal turning lathe cutter fitted to a tool, but I'm a beginner so could be wrong.

Agree about the safety aspects of videos (5 of them) but still very informative.

devonwoody":1v9u9rem said:
To me it looked more like a metal turning lathe cutter fitted to a tool, but I'm a beginner so could be wrong.

Agree about the safety aspects of videos (5 of them) but still very informative.

yep very informative on the turning side - but OMG how dangerous with the chainsaw - as a countryside proffesional who uses chainsaws most days i can barely watch when i see idiots like that working with no safety gear.

And as to the comments below the video like " I know what i'm doing so i rarely bother [with safety trousers] but beginers out to wear" that kind of attitude is normally quickly followed by a trip to casualty (or the morgue if you arent lucky) - everyone should wear full c/saw safety kit regardless of how much experience they think they have.

also the c.saw on the video wasnt even sharp , you could tell by the length of time it took to work it into the log and the ammount of dust being produced - forcing a blunt chain is an incredbly dangerous pratice not to mention being hell on the longlevity of the saw.

I cannot belive the lack of respect people pay to chainsaws. as part of the tree surgery course i did, i learnt how to use and maintain a chainsaw- i would reccomend everyone do the same and always wear the correct ppe. they can be killers.

His roughing tool looks to be an Oland type of tool. Basically, that is a 3/8 to 1/2 inch high speed steel bit in a bar. A small scraper in other words. I prefer a 1 1/4 by 3/8 inch scraper for my roughing.
robo hippy

Back