9 hour doors? i dont think so.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffinfrance

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all experienced door makers,

got a job i'm pricing for, but after my calculations, it just seems crazy money, for something that sounds relatively straightforward.

no pics, so here goes for a detailed description.

client has 3 oak post and beam openings to bedrooms from landing. very old house so not square or plumb.

client wants, new solid chestnut four panel doors30-40mm thick (i settled for 34mm). very traditional, but simple mouldings. with necessary frames (these must be surface mounted on the oak openings as the openings are not big, average 1850mm x 850mm. one of the frames is so out of plumb the opening needs lining (120mm deep) to plumb both faces for the door and frame both sides. the other two can be surface mounted and small fillets can be used to fill any small gaps.

i want to "try" to offer "best work" according to george ellis, so wedged through, haunched, single mortice and tenons, double mortice and tenons, and stopped mortice and tenons for the muntins. maybe all pegged, i've gotta try one time! (i count 10 in total for each door, four of which are doubles)

ironmongary i allowed 100 euros per door, rim lock, handle and hinges.

i'm coming out at around 4 and a half grand.

for "best work" is that about right? just sounds a lot to me, espescially when i just realised i haven't allowed for waxing.

it's obviously not straightforward, but 1500 for an internal door and frame????

i did read somehwre that there was some kind of standard time of 9 hours to make a "standard" door like this

thanks in advance,

jeff

Jeff its hard to tell as one you are in France and two we don't know what your daily rate is.

Give us an idea of youir time to make the doors, frames and on site fitting.

Also you say the ironmongery is in Euros what is teh 1500 and 4.5 grand in?

Jason

euros jason, sorry.

daily rate is 200 plus tax. thats only a bit under the trade association's reccomended 237 a day rate, so i cant charge for all my "apprentice" time.

i've rediesigned a bit and recalced (imagining i am the best joiner i could be) and i come out to 11 or 12 days.

thats a bit more like it.

Back