70th birthday present for a newbie scroll sawer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelsun

Established Member
Reaction score
My dad turns 70 on the 14th and my sister is after a present for him. He's just got the scroll saw bug and is awaiting an Axminster monster saw to replace his first £100 Sealey one.

Any good books to be had or any other bright ideas?

or, you could buy him a few packs of blades and a load of bits of wood to fill his time with, some nice exotics would go down well I'm sure. oh and perhaps a nice seat to perch on. :)

A stack of Baltic Birch ply (something I've never had but everyone raves about).

Blades - he'll always need blades.

Thanks for the replies folks! I think she's wanting to get him something he'll keep versus something he'll make dust with or break, so ply and blades me thinks will be out. I do understand the benefits of both though.

As to exactly what he makes... he's talked about 3D cutting (which went whooshing over my head) and making small ornaments (flowers and a nativity scene). Never mentioned intarsia so not sure if he's not in to it or possibly not even heard of it yet.

The seat idea is a good one. He's not got the saw and stand yet (FWIW, it's the Axi EX-21 and whatever stand goes with it) so getting something the right height may be tricky. Is there a particular style of chair that most go for? something so you're up over the table?

He will undoubtedly be getting lots of different blades for different wood, so look up scrollsaw blade storage and get something for that purpose. He would eventually need something like that so it may be just right as a gift.
Malcolm

How about a nice new task light, maybe with a magnifier as well?

AndyT":rr5ecvzc said:
How about a nice new task light, maybe with a magnifier as well?
I think he has that covered but two great suggestions right there.

Alexam":rr5ecvzc said:
He will undoubtedly be getting lots of different blades for different wood, so look up scrollsaw blade storage and get something for that purpose. He would eventually need something like that so it may be just right as a gift.
Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. From a quick search, blade storage appears to be best made yourself. I'll file that one away as a future present for him.

Nelsun":1gh8534i said:
My dad turns 70 on the 14th and my sister is after a present for him. He's just got the scroll saw bug and is awaiting an Axminster monster saw to replace his first £100 Sealey one.

Any good books to be had or any other bright ideas?

IMHO The very best thing to buy someone who is new to scroll-sawing is to buy them a copy of Patrick Spielmans book "Scrollsaw handbook" it covers everything one needs to know and is in my opinion an essential buy for anyone who uses a scroll saw. There are two versions and both are good they are widely available fairly cheaply second hand.

I bought a copy when it came out 30 years ago and learnt more from this one book than any others I bought since.

Thanks scrimper. Looks like a good one as you say. 2nd edition out now as well which presumably covers newer bits n bobs. Have passed it on :)

Back