Tools needed for model making?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit of background. My mum recently died and dad is completely lost. He loves sailing and built his own sailing boat but with age he gave up sailing this last year. In his youth he used to make model boats and I am encouraging him to build a 1/25 replica of the sailing boat he built which he likes the idea of.

His sight is still good and I think his dexterity will come back with practice but he is not at all sure of himself and will be looking to me for guidance. What tools will he need for making 1m long boat beyond the regular woodworking hand tools which I have? I was thinking about a scroll saw for cutting out thin ply and maybe some very small plane but never done model making myself and dad cant begin to remember how he made things as a boy. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated

As a model maker you will never have enough tools but at the bare minimum a good straight edge and a sharp scalpel will let you build just about anything.
However more tools make light work so I would say in no particular order
  • Scroll Saw
    Razor Saw / Mitre block
    Steel Straight edges
    Scalpel / Utility knives
    Permagrit style sanding tools
    Square
    Clamps
    More Clamps
    Screwdrivers
    Hex Keys
    Ect
    Ect
    Ect

Gerry

In the first instance have a look at Billings Boats a kit from then may give inspiration and ideas for a scale model of his old boat later.

Small steam bending arrangement for planks? If he wants to come kicking and screaming into the 21st century a 3d printer for all those little details,

As you can see from his signature (above), member Gerry is obviously an experienced model maker. Me too though I've largely given up now (I built aircraft too, but gave up 'cos due to a health problem, every time I look up into the sky and loose sight of the horizon I fall over! NOT good for keeping the model under control. But I digress!).

I wouldn't argue with or subtract anything in Gerry's list. A steaming arrangement for bending ply MAY be helpful, but if it's thin enough (or if it's balsa or obechi) it can be bent and formed very successfully, even around highly curved and shaped formers. Just wet, perhaps with a little ammonia added, and held in position with ordinary bandages can produce some really intricate shapes. But I guess steam for thicker wood may be needed.

Clamps and more clamps as already said, but don't forget the "obvious" like wooden and plastic clothes pegs, those little ali "tweezer-type" thingies that hair dressers use, and other stuff like nail files, emery boards, rubber bands, ordinary dress makers' pins, etc, etc.

One of the delights of modelling (apart from the finished model) is the fact that all sorts of odds n sods can be pressed into service with good effect.

And if the wood is thicker, as it tends to be with boats I think, then I would consider a scroll saw more or less a must. The best you can afford (the separate scrolling section here has lots of advice on choice).

Good luck to your dad.

On the clamps, look at the clamp type trouser hangers in your wardrobe the clamps on the end of the hanger can be cut off and used.

The above clamps idea is a good one, I'd never have thought of that.

One addition springs to mind - Xacto used to make a small block plane that takes thick, old fashioned razor blades. Don't know if they still make them, but a very useful tool, but a small (repeat SMALL) block plane from the normal woodworkers shop would do as well I guess (I still use my little Xacto for "normal" wood working).

Bulldog clips make good small clamps. Luthiers' tools also, miniature planes in particular.

One can often pick up small watchmakers' tools on eBay.

A Dremel type tool would come in very handy on occasion.

And a jewellers' or modellers' lathe could be something for the future.

Once he has got going again he'll know what he needs.

Next time you go to the dentist ask if they have any out of time instrument, I use them for fly tying and they seem to come in handy for all sorts of things, especially applying CA in very small areas.

Model making aside there are a number of other options for continuing to sail or access the water.

I'm also a keen sailor and have worked as a sailing instructor

Several RYA centres are part of the sailability scheme
https://www.rya.org.uk/programmes/rya-s ... s/hub.aspx

They have specially adapted boats which he might still be able to sail.

Alternatively Crewing on a yacht or larger boat can be less physically demanding than sailing small boats. The larger the boat the more people are needed to crew it and the more specific the jobs they need to do are.

The sail training tall ships might also benefit from the input of somebody like your dad's experience.

If sailing doesn't seem practical another of my hobbies is open canoeing and there's a very active and welcoming forum called
Song of the Paddle
www.songofthepaddle.co.uk

On a calm day canoeing along a quiate stretch of water such as your local canal takes minimal effort and is a lovely way to appreciate the scenery and wildlife while still feeling a very Direct connection to the water.

You can get some very lightweight beautifully built canoes
Eg
http://valkyriecraft.com/overview-of-bo ... open-canoe

Hope some of these suggestions are of interest

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

E-wan":2tyvszzg said:
Model making aside there are a number of other options for continuing to sail or access the water.

I'm also a keen sailor and have worked as a sailing instructor

Several RYA centres are part of the sailability scheme
https://www.rya.org.uk/programmes/rya-s ... s/hub.aspx

They have specially adapted boats which he might still be able to sail.

Alternatively Crewing on a yacht or larger boat can be less physically demanding than sailing small boats. The larger the boat the more people are needed to crew it and the more specific the jobs they need to do are.

The sail training tall ships might also benefit from the input of somebody like your dad's experience.

If sailing doesn't seem practical another of my hobbies is open canoeing and there's a very active and welcoming forum called
Song of the Paddle
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk

On a calm day canoeing along a quiate stretch of water such as your local canal takes minimal effort and is a lovely way to appreciate the scenery and wildlife while still feeling a very Direct connection to the water.

You can get some very lightweight beautifully built canoes
Eg
http://valkyriecraft.com/overview-of-bo ... open-canoe

Hope some of these suggestions are of interest

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Ewan.

He is still capable of sitting in a boat just doesn't feel up to being in charge. Amazingly he sold his boat and my cousin bought it so he will still get a chance to sail in the boat he built. Will bare in mind the links above though.

Thanks all for the ideas =D>

Will refer back to this once he makes a start

Back