56 planes on ebay (finsihed)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_P

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261575013222? ... 1423.l2649

£175 / 56 = £3.12

Someone mentioned this yesterday morning and the post and replies were deleted. Thought it was considered bad form to link to a live auction but not actually against the rules.

Can someone clarify ?

Mod edit:- Thread was removed in accordance with the rules after member complaint.
( 8.6 ) - Auction Site Links.
Members sometimes feel that posting random links to eBay or similar sites may be of benefit to other members looking for a "bargain".
It is not in the interests of our membership to highlight items that some may already have on their watch list. Furthermore we have had instances in the past where members have spuriously drawn attention to their own listings. It is suggested that those wishing to find "bargains" do so themselves.

Rule 8.6 was added recently

Members sometimes feel that posting random links to eBay or similar sites may be of benefit to other members looking for a "bargain".
It is not in the interests of our membership to highlight items that some may already have on their watch list. Furthermore we have had instances in the past where members have spuriously drawn attention to their own listings. It is suggested that those wishing to find "bargains" do so themselves.

It doesn't really clarify anything but that is the "rule"

marcros":2pl6cerm said:
It doesn't really clarify anything but that is the "rule"
I've never come across any other internet forum with such a silly rule. It advantages a tiny number and disadvantages sellers and other prospective buyers.

Rhossydd":394w51sk said:
I've never come across any other internet forum with such a silly rule. It advantages a tiny number and disadvantages sellers and other prospective buyers.
Hear hear.
IMO it's petty officialdom gone absolutely and unnecessarily stupid.

wizard":1e9lpotd said:
What they should have on here is a “members link to any tools they are selling on eBay” section
Quite. It seems absurd not to be able to mention your own auctions.

Mod Edit:- You can, there is a section for this:- Auction sites do not pass on any of their fees as a goodwill gesture for the extra publicity to help cover the cost of running UKW.

Half of the other forums that I am on are jammed up with posts saying "I am selling some stuff on eBay". I don't see the problem with just not mentioning it on the forum. When I have seen an item that I know somebody is looking for, I have sent them a PM with a link. It would do them no use at all if several people then started to bid against each other as a direct result of my link.

If you want to sell woodworking stuff and it is genuine disposal of unwanted things, sell it on here. If it is non woodworking it has no relevance to the forum.

marcros":lpsk8g2z said:
Half of the other forums that I am on are jammed up with posts saying "I am selling some stuff on eBay". I don't see the problem with just not mentioning it on the forum.

I agree.

If people want stuff, they can search for themselves. And if they miss out on a "bargain", well if they didn't know about it they they're not missing out on anything.

I don't like the "see what others are viewing or watching" suggestions on Ebay either.

Re the 56 planes, they need a lot of work! If the buyer's not collecting, I wonder how much it would cost to send a courier? It's got to weigh at least 50kg, maybe nearer 100kg.

If you leave out the ones that have bits missing or were cheap and nasty budget lines in the first place, it's probably £5 or £6 each, for planes that would sell at a boot fair for about £5 or £6. You'd have to put hours of work in to clean most of them up enough to get any more than that, wouldn't you?

But plenty of people put bids in, so somebody sees it differently. What do members who trade on eBay think? How does the sale make any worthwhile amount of money?

Maybe in between the acorns and general tack there were a couple of "special" ones. You only need one or two half decent rare ones and you would break even pretty quickly but then the rest eek cripes a lot of work.

There was a similar lot near me recently and that attracted no bids at all starting at £300 a few marples and spiers. I gave it serious thought but decided against it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-PLANE ... true&rt=nc

AndyT":2ct7el7p said:
If you leave out the ones that have bits missing or were cheap and nasty budget lines in the first place, it's probably £5 or £6 each, for planes that would sell at a boot fair for about £5 or £6. You'd have to put hours of work in to clean most of them up enough to get any more than that, wouldn't you?

But plenty of people put bids in, so somebody sees it differently. What do members who trade on eBay think? How does the sale make any worthwhile amount of money?
In my experience lots like this have been "cherry picked" and there's nothing left there worth much. Probably mainly fairly modern number 4's.

Maybe cleaned up, individually well photographed and marketed they could make a modest profit - but in reality no profit at all once the time and effort to do so is taken into consideration.

A hiding to nothing I'd say.

Lots of bids but there were only about 5 bidders who bid more that £10 though. And one of those only bid £32, the next highest was £75.

I think there's a Record T5, which goes for a fair amount. And a Record router plane, probably with only one cutter.
There's also a no 7, but it doesn't seem to have any words on it, maybe it's just the photo.

So no instant wealth on offer, which is what I thought. Presumably the seller has got fed up of trying to sell them for any more.

Rhossydd":ey6t1oab said:
wizard":ey6t1oab said:
What they should have on here is a “members link to any tools they are selling on eBay” section
Quite. It seems absurd not to be able to mention your own auctions.

Mod Edit:- You can, there is a section for this:- Auction sites do not pass on any of their fees as a goodwill gesture for the extra publicity to help cover the cost of running UKW.

Premier Posts cost £25 per week so its better just to use eBay and not help people on here. things i sell on eBay i would let people have cheaper here

You try to charge members for mentioning they're selling something on eBay that other members here might be interested in ? Not been very popular has it ?
I might just understand this daft policy if you were loosing revenue because not getting advertising revenue or a sellers fee from the buy and sell section here, but you're not, so in effect your disadvantaging everyone.

This forum has a forsale section ;) you must state a price........ah, you want to advertise your ebay auctions so you get more bids and more money in your pocket - explain how that helps other forum members again ? :lol:

Back