Viceroy lathe...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
mod edit: ( 8.6 ) - Auction Site Links.
Members sometimes feel that posting random links to eBay or similar sites may be of benefit to other members looking for a "bargain".
It is not in the interests of our membership to highlight items that some may already have on their watch list. Furthermore we have had instances in the past where members have spuriously drawn attention to their own listings. It is suggested that those wishing to find "bargains" do so themselves.

While on the subject of Viceroy lathes, I can't see why a metal working lathe, with all the extra that goes into it such as screw cutting gearbox etc, should be similarly priced ( sometimes cheaper) than a woodturning lathe which is much more basic. I know metal lathes are not ideal for wood turning, but I have read about professionals using big metal lathes, sometimes modified, for their heavy wood turning work because they are more sturdily built, have slow speeds, large motors etc. It just seems that the prices do not match up.
K

That is good value G-O, too late for me as I've got a short-bed, chuck and tools now but sounds like a good lathe and price for somebody looking for a solid lathe.

Yes, a solid lathe AND extras included. The buyer could probably get £30 or more for each faceplate if they decided to sell them on, and considerably more for the chucks. If it was me I would just keep one faceplate for inboard and outboard, plus the chucks. Some of the rests look home made, but if they work then who cares?
A good deal for someone.

K

graduate_owner":2aqsf2bl said:
While on the subject of Viceroy lathes, I can't see why a metal working lathe, with all the extra that goes into it such as screw cutting gearbox etc, should be similarly priced ( sometimes cheaper) than a woodturning lathe which is much more basic. I know metal lathes are not ideal for wood turning, but I have read about professionals using big metal lathes, sometimes modified, for their heavy wood turning work because they are more sturdily built, have slow speeds, large motors etc. It just seems that the prices do not match up.
K

eGCe5J1.jpg

Couldn't agree more

graduate_owner":3ajdjzxa said:
I can't see why a metal working lathe, with all the extra that goes into it such as screw cutting gearbox etc, should be similarly priced ( sometimes cheaper) than a woodturning lathe which is much more basic. I know metal lathes are not ideal for wood turning, but I have read about professionals using big metal lathes, sometimes modified, for their heavy wood turning work because they are more sturdily built, have slow speeds, large motors etc. It just seems that the prices do not match up.
K
I often wonder about why the difference in price between a precision made electric sewing machine & a comparatively roughly made electric fret saw. I presume the sewing machine has a larger volume market.

The advert says it will dismantle into 5 parts; any chance the parts will fit in the boot of my car ?
1999 Mercedes 220 C class Saloon -- I could do 2 trips if needed :)

Cordy":1ae1inbh said:
The advert says it will dismantle into 5 parts; any chance the parts will fit in the boot of my car ?
1999 Mercedes 220 C class Saloon -- I could do 2 trips if needed :)

I'd say it's more dependant on how much weight your car can carry. I have the short bed bowl turning version of the Viceroy and the main headstock section weighs an absolute ton!! Took 3 of us to lift/drag it into the back of a van. I don't think I'd try this in my car.

However If you do buy it, I'd definitely make you an offer for one of those chucks! finding it quite difficult to find a chuck to fit the spindle.

Cheers and good luck!

Jamie

The left hand outboard table unbolts, and the upper headstock comes off the base but you need to undo the intermediate pulley or the belt if it is a nutlink belt. On the shortbed the inboard table forms the middle bit of the headstock, I'm guessing the normal bed will unbolt. So if you did take it fully apart then it should go in the boot and back seats.

I can lift the short bed lathe with rests, banjos, tailstock and left hand table removed, but only briefly to place it on some blocks for filling and painting, and I had to eat 3 shredded wheat first :)

An indication of build quality?

K
Edit - on re-reading the details, I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer would get their money back completely if they just sold on the extras. A viceroy lathe for free? Pity it's nearly. 200 miles away.

I picked up my union graduate (similar size and weight to the viceroy) in a hatchback, loading it was easy as the seller had a forklift. I would recommend a larger vehicle or van if available, as the suspension was resting on the bump stops all the way home, and it was very difficult to remove from the vehicle, even with two people.

Mod edited.

( 8.6 ) - Auction Site Links.
Members sometimes feel that posting random links to eBay or similar sites may be of benefit to other members looking for a "bargain".
It is not in the interests of our membership to highlight items that some may already have on their watch list. Furthermore we have had instances in the past where members have spuriously drawn attention to their own listings. It is suggested that those wishing to find "bargains" do so themselves.

Point taken. Will not do it again, and I offer my apologies if I have transgressed regarding the forum rules. Just to confirm, I have no connection with the item being advertised.

Out of interest though, (ie being nosey) did anyone notice how much it sold for?

K

graduate_owner":3brryytm said:
Point taken. Will not do it again, and I offer my apologies if I have transgressed regarding the forum rules. Just to confirm, I have no connection with the item being advertised.

Out of interest though, (ie being nosey) did anyone notice how much it sold for?

K

Ended with 1 bid - £450

I decided not to bid
In an earlier listing, same lathe; he wrote about some rust..... and had not been used for more than 2 years

Well I think someone had a good deal there. If I was selling it I would probably have included some rests, one chuck and one faceplate for each side, then advertised the remainder separately. I don't know of anyone who makes fittings for the outboard thread, 1 1/4 x 9 left hand.

K

Back