40mm Birch Plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogersims

Reaction score
I am looking to make some shelving using either 40mm or 2 x 18mm birch plywood. I can't seem to find anyone near me (Hampshire) that supplies quality plywood. Can anyone recommend a supplier of good grade plywood either 40mm or 18mm?

James Latham in Fareham supply us up to 25mm thick, I have never asked about anything thicker.

Rogersims":1nwsmmyp said:
I am looking to make some shelving using either 40mm or 2 x 18mm birch plywood. I can't seem to find anyone near me (Hampshire) that supplies quality plywood. Can anyone recommend a supplier of good grade plywood either 40mm or 18mm?

Not wishing to be rude, but why do you need shelves so thick? 2 bits of 18mm will be quite heavy.

phil.p":3h50fwpv said:
Yes. Torsion box shelves? If you're using ply you're probably going to lip the front edges anyway.

With decent ply, you could make a feature of the exposed edges without using lipping. But that doesn't preclude a torsion box. Three layers of 12mm ply, with the middle layer just 20mm wide (on plan) thus creating a hollow............that would do it. Just as strong, only two thirds the weight.

marku":116p0y8w said:
James Latham in Fareham supply us up to 25mm thick, I have never asked about anything thicker.

I never knew about this company, and they’re only five minutes down the road from me!

It’s not clear from their website, but will they sell in ones and twos to the man on the street, or are they a trade-only, minimum quantity merchant?

When they use to have a large timber yard in Hackney they use to sell to anyone with beer tokens so wouldn't have though things have changed.

space.dandy":6m2x7yqu said:
marku":6m2x7yqu said:

I never knew about this company, and they’re only five minutes down the road from me!

It’s not clear from their website, but will they sell in ones and twos to the man on the street, or are they a trade-only, minimum quantity merchant?

We sometimes buy 1 or 2 boards of them, I think they will supply anyone if you collect but I don't work there so would be best to call them, they do have a very large stock!

They also supply birch ply down to 0.4mm.I have used this thickness too-and its a lot easier to lift than 40mm!

MikeG.":3obki9k8 said:
With decent ply, you could make a feature of the exposed edges without using lipping. But that doesn't preclude a torsion box. Three layers of 12mm ply, with the middle layer just 20mm wide (on plan) thus creating a hollow............that would do it. Just as strong, only two thirds the weight.

That’s how I make trestle desk tops for an interior designer (eg vid # 143) with 12/15/12 getting close enough to nominal 40mm thickness, without weighing a ton.

The plan is to show the ply edge, 40mm thick is overkill for the use but will enhance the 'chunky' look my customer is after! I will pop over to Fareham and have a look. Thanks for everyone's comments =D>

marku":1d3regit said:
space.dandy":1d3regit said:
marku":1d3regit said:

We sometimes buy 1 or 2 boards of them, I think they will supply anyone if you collect but I don't work there so would be best to call them, they do have a very large stock!

I popped in to see them the other weekend and they said they won't supply in 1's and 2's to the man on the street -- something about an agreement not to compete with the large retailers. I'm not sure how you manage to buy singles from them; perhaps you were an existing customer before this agreement was made.

I imagine you would need to open a trade account. Probs worth doing as any hobbyist, Lathams are a first class merchant

Back