4' Bed Frame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbud78

Established Member
Reaction score
Want to have a go at making a bed for my daughter, I've seen an awesome one on here with hearts in the headboards that I might loosely copy. Does anyone know of any free plans ? struggling with sizes more than anything, Corner posts 70mm enough or should I be going for 100mm. Side rail 25mm x 100 enough or 38 wide ? She's only 4 and a dot at the moment but want it to be able to take an adult with no issues :)

I'm most likely going to make it out of redwood although may price up in oak, supply for oak up here is hit and miss.

This is my first really undertaking in furniture, I made a workbench that's great albeit a little rough round the edges. Dont have a planer or thicknesser so will be using my trusty No.4 and No.5 to do the work xD

Yeah, 70mm is enough. For the side rail, I'd go for 38mm x 150 - 180. It's easier to fit loose tenons and bed bolts in a wider board (if that's how you plan to attach them). Of course, this not the only way to make such a joint.
If you opt for oak, then 25mm is OK.

Hi totally agree 70mm posts plenty strong enough ,I made abed for my grandaughter and I used southern yellow pine works easily and takes paint well with no knots to worry about .I also would recommend 150 MM. side rails morticed into the posts about 25mm and then bored for bed bolts I used two bolts per rail but in hindsight one would have been sufficient.Beware of resin pockets if you are intending to paint the bed !Kev.

Almost finished this bed, have made it out of redwood and I'm now wondering what to finish it in. Any suggestions ?

I don't want a tint and want it to look natural, I was just going to put some beeswax on it but is there something else that might increase the surface protection perhaps ?

Thanks

Jim

Bigbud78":t4o1t5ot said:
Almost finished this bed, have made it out of redwood and I'm now wondering what to finish it in. Any suggestions ?

I don't want a tint and want it to look natural, I was just going to put some beeswax on it but is there something else that might increase the surface protection perhaps ?

Thanks

Jim
I quite like water based floor varnish for general pine furniture - dries quickly, satin finish, doesn't look naff, seems to protect fairly well. Although I haven't done a bed with it, I'd assume it'll also be safe for that application.

Bigbud78":2q5nv6p1 said:
Corner posts 70mm enough or should I be going for 100mm.

100mm? You could park a locomotive on 100mm posts.

50mm is plenty, plus it'll then be possible to lift and move the thing. Seriously, you should be guided in the dimensions by the ease of jointing rather than the structural engineering of the piece, as long as the joints are good and the timber's reasonably straight grained and knot free then you'll be fine.

Good luck!

sploo":1ph825iz said:
[
I quite like water based floor varnish for general pine furniture - dries quickly, satin finish, doesn't look naff, seems to protect fairly well.
+1 to this. I like Junkers Strong clear lacquer, never had a problem with it.

Pete

Back