4,000 year old irish bog oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggy

Established Member
Reaction score
this is my latest offering, carbon dated 4,000 year old irish bog oak.
chrome fittings and ca finish, blah,blah, blah all comments good or bad welcome. thanks.
22032009314_edited.jpg

You've been busy haven't you! Another cracker Colin :D

A pen as old as stone henge, quite amazing that something thats been dead that long can still be strong enough to be usable.

JT

Wow that's lovely, great shape and a wonderfull colour. I hope to be able be able to do some pens when I get get near a lathe and a bit of wood without just digging big holes in it!!.

Whats a ca finish?

CA - cryoanylate - aka super glue. Apparently pen turners use it combined with blo (boiled liniseed oil). Not sure how or why tho ;)

AAhh that will explain all the other mentions of it I have also seen, boiling it up with linseed oil sounds like pure witchcraft!

mattcullum":xn6sjfvd said:
AAhh that will explain all the other mentions of it I have also seen, boiling it up with linseed oil sounds like pure witchcraft!

i think - tho i could be wrong - that they boil the liniseed oil first then add the CA

hopefully someone who actually knows what they are talking about ( i dont make pens , faceplate work is my speciallity) will be along soon to shed some light

Absolutely gorgeous pen Greggy

Hi Matt

The CA BLO finish is the same as french polishing.

You have the lathe running at a slowish speed, have a rubbing cloth ready with a little BLO on it. Then drip a couple of drops of CA onto the revolving pen, and gently move across the work with the oil damp cloth. Once that coat has hardened, not too long. Then add another coat, and so on. If you get some unsightly marks just remove carefully with 1000 wet & dry, or 0000 wire wool. Then continue coating until you have a thickness to your satisfaction.

The benefit of this coating is it's durability, and it can be buffed to a brilliant finish on a wheel.

Some introduce the CA to the work then start the lathe. Could never get on with that myself.

Very classy looking piece :D
Shape is excellent,fittings look just right,lovely warmth to it as well!

Andrew

You have the shape exactly right..
The finish is great ..Who is the lucky person it is
destined for.? or is it for you.?
Mounted in a nice box would make a superb gift.... =D> =D>

Lovely pen Greggy, I had two the very same made for me by Stevebuk from some Bog Oak I sent him. Really are a super present, myself and Herself are over the moon with them. Now my 3 children are looking for some. I have some Bog Yew which is of the same vintage but I wouldent know if it were suitable for pens or not. I'm not sure if Steve has moved on from pens or not I have quite a lot of it and if anyone is interested a PM with a phone No. and we could sort something out.
At the moment I cant get around to cut it to size as I'm waiting for a Hip Op. and it should be this week PG.Let me know and I'll get one of my mates to sort something out.I havent had a feedback from Cornacopia yet as to wheather it is worth turning or not,He may be busy or away or waiting to see what way it stabilises before giving his verdict as it was pretty damp to say the lest. REgards Boysie. PS if you dont get an answer for a few days the deed is being done and will get back to you.

Mornin' Eugene.

Good luck with the operation, and may you be back on your feet quickly. It will give you a new lease of life believe me.

That's a cracker Greggy, Love the finish. It's nice to say, I've got a 4000 year old biro :shock:
and thank you Tam, for that description of finishing,
I've just started to make pens and having problems with finishing, also the two ends appear to be offset to each other. (I think my mandrel isn't quite straight)

John. B

wow wee, i did not expect all these nice comments. thank you very much i really do appreciate them. the only boiled linseed ( blo ) i use is at the begining
when i have used all the grades of micromesh to 12,000. i put one coat of blo on the blank then its a couple of drops of ca med glue ona peice of bounty kitchen roll folded in half 4 times. so its about 1 inch wide. lightly rub it across the blank about 4-6 times then a quick spray of activator. then the peice of towell i used is now hard so i rip that piece off then repeat 6-10 times without the blo. then its wet micromesh up to 12,000 again. then finished with a couple coats of rennaisance wax. done. i do not use a mandrel, as i turn each blank between centres, as i find a mandrel can bend giving me an out of round pen. i will try and do a tutorial if i can. thats if anyone is interested. many thanks again.

Greggy,

Very nice, you have done some good pens. :D The pencil is great as well.

greggy":2n1er30r said:
i do not use a mandrel, as i turn each blank between centres, as i find a mandrel can bend giving me an out of round pen. i will try and do a tutorial if i can. thats if anyone is interested. many thanks again.
You don't need to ask, we are waiting. :-k

Latest posts

Back