35mm slide to pc?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Sandyn Have you seen you can automatically convert black and white photos to colour?

This was done using a Google notebook a couple of years ago. The only user input was output file size and type. I have tried it on other photos but it works best with people.

When you look closer there is some colour bleeding for example on the airmans fingers.

Attachments

• th_Ainsley Barber wedding.png
    th_Ainsley Barber wedding.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I scanned my slides at 6400 dpi, 24 bit, ( over 100Mb per image)
I doubt that there's any advantage in setting such a high resolution with that type of scanner since the manufacturer-claimed values have been widely shown to be false. If you set it to no more than half the claimed max value you'd probably get as good a result, a quicker scan and a smaller file size ...

As a woodworker surely you can make a wooden rig to slot the slide down in, camera one side / light the other side??

3 mm slot lined with foam to hold the slide?

Last edited:
I doubt that there's any advantage in setting such a high resolution with that type of scanner since the manufacturer-claimed values have been widely shown to be false. If you set it to no more than half the claimed max value you'd probably get as good a result, a quicker scan and a smaller file size ...
Yes, it's a common issue with scanners, even with dedicated film scanners, so you have to factor that in. The scanner does scan at 6400, but may not be able to resolve that optically. I'm not too bothered about the time it takes, or image size, so I just scan at the max resolution. I also have a dedicated film scanner, but it is so slow and requires continuous attention.

Have you seen you can automatically convert black and white photos to colour?
Yes, I have seen this. It is very good. Must be similar technology used to colour the WW1 film. It's amazing how converting an old B&W film to colour really brings it to life.

Some years ago I spent days scanning hundreds of old family slides. Perhaps the most tedious thing I have ever done! Anyhow I packed the slides back in the loft. A few months later the hard drive I had scanned onto died suddenly and I had no back up. Never again………😩

Latest posts

Back