3-phase motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tim,

I can read your post either that you are still in trouble and want help or that you are giving up on the DE in favour of another solution and so the dead/dying motor is not a problem?

Confused of Romsey

Bob

Could well be Roy.
Seems like a case of initial leakage to earth that needed some extra leakage from the combi to be enough to fire the trip then the leakage worsened so it will trip by itself.
What I'm not sure of is if it is still just a leakage problem or if the magic smoke has escaped and the motor is a basket case.

Bob

Yeah, leakages of two or more circuits together can be a damned nuisance.

Roy.

9fingers said:
the magic smoke has escaped and the motor is a basket case.

Bob

Talk about talking in riddles - we know what you mean, but do the others ?

Thanks Tim -- you've given us something to mull over, even if it's just the translation of 'disjonctuer' (yes.. we can guess!). Bob's increasing leakage seems a good candidate though why it should increase slowly I'm struggling with. But it would seem that the motor is dead now - we'll blame it on being a French one :D

Rob

Yep all those, Roy.

My only experience of a failed motor had all of those but it went in a oner with the smoke getting out. It was the motor on effectively a home built table saw - actually the saw was supplied without the motor, and I fitted whatever I could find, which was an open ventilation motor with a centrifugal start. So damp and sawdust had full entry.

Every so often a bit of sawdust got across the starter contacts and the motor would just sit there and hum vigorously until I remembered why and hit the off button. It was easy enough the clear - a screwdriver through the end plate and hit the C/F switch, but after 25 years the smoke got out one day.

So I made the failure query with a bit of experience.

Just to finish the story, I had recovered an early pressure washer from a skip about the same time - the saw went from a 600w motor to a 3kw one; wish I had had that all those years of ripping biggish bits of wood.

Rob

hanks again guys - yes the motor was dead and we've had it rewound. Just don't want it to happwn again

Back