3 phase kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
not sure where this goes, so here we are.
I keep noticing people talking about 3 phase kit, which I understand to be about 400 volts, how do you get to use these in your domestic hokme, or should I say how do you get a supply to be able too.

Momo,
My neibour had the local electricity board install three phase supply to his garage. He was an ex engineer so he dug the trenches in his drive, provided a hole through to his garage, hung the distribution panel and then they came and made the connection from the pavement supply to his box, tested it and sent him the bill.
regards
alan

Momo
3 Phase is the standard distributed electricity in the UK. It is 415V.
For domestic housing and the like, they tap off one phase every third house. It comes out at about 230V, but will vary with demand (adverts during Corry, for example).

If you want to buy 3 phase kit you will need to get your electricity supplier to install a 3P line to your workshop. I have no idea how much this costs. BUT, you can then pick up good quality second-hand 3P kit for little money.

I don't have 3P, but if I were to start up a workshop from scratch I wouldn't hesitate.

I need a new drill press. I have seen some beauties in Germany this week, but alas, way out of my bracket. I'm considering buying a 3P and changing the motor.

Cheers
Steve

i would love to own some pro kit let alone decent stuff, but hey cost is the killer, and I don't see it happening. I thought I would ask as i wondered who else may want to know how and why and the costs.

Thanks guys

No idea what they are!, mind you I can see my meter whizzing around like mad on 3 phase kit....

I don't think you can get a 3 Phase supply fitted unless you're actually looking to set up a full-time business/workshop?

I think it's something to do with Health and Safety.

Mornin' momo, normally when members of the forum talk about 3 phase it is in the context of running a 3 phase motor through a inverter which is fed from the normal household 230v supply. (although I believe they don't advise going over 2.5HP or so on a house supply)

The inverter converts the household AC supply to 3 phase but only at 230v, and also gives you the facility of having full variable speed control over the motor. To do this you also need a 3 phase motor which is designed to run on 415 or 230v and can be wired in delta.

Thanks Tam, So if I went and got an invertor, then say a kity planer or saw ( momos mind is racing now!!!) I could wire them up and have some fun rather than struggle with my little toy saw. Sounds good to me, but its that delta bit that now worries me, how do you know what will and wont be delta.

Everytime I get an answer to a problem my brain finds another question.

Hi again No 1. I'm no spark, but I have fitted VS to my 2 lathes using VS inverters. So how it goes is that you buy the inverter The one I used. There are others.

Then buy a 3 phase motor of the horse power you need making sure it can run on 415v and 230v 3 phase. Inside the wiring box are 2 rows of connectors, and there should be some flat metal strips on one side. When wiring in Delta you disconnect the strips and use them to link the two rows of connectors together, this allows the motor to run on 230v. Now you can wire up to the inverter, and fit switches and speed dials and so on.

This is just a very, VERY, rough explanation so don't start a project on this basis. It is not hard to do, but it needs to be done properly, and carefully.

Have a look around here, it could be interesting.

I have been thinking of getting 3 phase but have been put off by the likely bill from the Electricity board being to high. Could those who have had it installed, please tell us how much the Board charged you for installation?

Thanks.

Mark.r

i bought a large 18" jet bandsaw with 3 hp 440v motor for £400 including delivery and a axminster WV2 extractor thrown in for free,instead of buying a single phase motor ,i bought a second hand digital inverter off ebay which is 240v single phase in-400v 3 phase out. It works fine now after an initial problem with vibration (which turned out to be due to the mobile base i had it on,its now bolted to the floor). The inverter was £200 but i still think i got a real bargain. I can also lower the speed to cut metal.

Back