2nd hand Ryobi table saws - any experience/advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melektro

Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking for a cheap 2nd hand table saw on the internets and have found 2 Ryobi's within travelling distance. I'm wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to their functionality and whether they would be a sensible buy in the long run. I know ryobi is not exactly high end machinery, but I'm just starting out and need something to work with. They are both being sold at around £80 - £100 (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the actual sellers).

The models I've seen are the Ryobi ETS-1525 (discontinued) and Ryobi ETS-1526. The ETS-1525 has a larger table size, less plastic and attachments for a router which I think is a bonus. How easy is it to cross cut without a sliding table? I presume a jig would be necessary to slide along the mitre slot or am I missing something?

Thanks, Al.

I started with a Roybi TS. There a good piece of kit for the money. I sold mine for £50.

The fence is pants but I used to just clamp some wood butted to it so it wouldn't deflect. I used the mitre fence a few times to cross cut but your better off with a chopsaw. A jig maybe better for the job but I never bothered as I had a chopsaw. I tripped the cut out a few times but I was ripping a piece taller then the blade.

Everything I cut on it was accurate enough but not always perfect to the eye. The dust extraction is pants if your even bothered about that. I wasn't until I had my own proper workshop.

I cannot comment on those two saws you mention but I had the ETS-1825 as my first table saw and it was fine, if very noisy. The fence was solid when locked in place but I never trusted it was parallel to the blade (maybe just beginner paranoia). The 1825 also had a funny mitre slot which would make building a cross cutting sled tricky (and I never got round to it) and the supplied mitre ran quite sloppy in the track. Hmmm looks like I am being a bit picky, but I did like it and I just pointing out where I thought it could be better to give you things to look out for.

H.

Thanks to both of you for the info so far, I'm not been one for forums up until now (maybe I need more interests!), but this site seems to be well run and members are helpful and quick to respond it would seem!

I'm on a ridiculously tight budget and looking for income at the same time (having recently finished the furniture HND at Adam smith in Kirkcaldy) so I don't want to throw money at machinery that's not going to cut it (pardon the pun). Your comments are encouraging however so I might take a chance on one of them. Anyone else have any experience of these saws?

Cheers.

I've been trying for the past year to do the evening classes at Adam Smith but they keep cancelling the course due to me being to only person applying! It is good to see the full time courses are still running.

Oh and welcome to the forum. I have been frequenting here for the past year and everyone has been really friendly.

H.

Back