1st ever project complete

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have never done any woodworking before so this is my 1st ever ever ever attempt. So don't be hard on any faults you may see :roll:

I had to make a set of gates to keep the rugrat from escaping if I ever wanted to work in the workshop again so this is what I made.

Gates attempt

I hope to start something/anything sometime soon as I think I have the bug ..... plus with the new tablesaw on it way I need to show her indoors it is worth every penny spent 8-[

Gor Blimey Mate

If thats your first attempt , I think I will pack up now :oops:

Looks really good for a first one

Well kitted out workshop to

Keep up the good work , I am impressed :p :p

Some people really P### me off wityh their first ever project. All I can say is, excellent piece of work, if that's the first attempt at WW then I really look forward to future projects.

Somehow makes me want to give up.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Excellent work, Fizzy =D> I like the shape of the gates - takes it a bit out of the ordinary. Welcome to the forum.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

hi fizzy verrry nice gates, however loads of questions for you were they your own design and if not where from? did you off set the tenon to allow to to fit the boards on the front face, what size was the timber used. sorry for the questions but SWMBO or "angie" as she insists on me calling her wants some nice drive gates building .
once again brilliant first project

fizzy, people like you p**s me off, cos for a first attempt they are simply
SUPERB. well done, it makes me look rubbish

WOW :shock: Thanks for the response to the gates :D I will try to answer a few questions.

At the minute I do not have a "next project" as this is only a hobby for me and I cannot even think of what to do next.

Lord Nibbo asked :- Do you fancy doing another pair? mine need TLC.
I somehow think you could throw up something in a days work that would embarass a lot on here :D I took 3 months to build mine :oops:

I have only ever built the wooden bench in the background of the pics that holds the mitre saw .... although I would never think twice about tackling any DIY as I love it.

As for design ..... I spent a few months just looking on the web at gates and liked that shape so thats what I built. The bottom tenon is offset to allow the T&G boards to go full length at the bottom there is a rabbet/groove/whatever its called at the top to allow me to tack the T&G there as well. As for the 5 uprights I used tenons on the bottom parts but cheated and used dowels on the top of them as I did not like the thought of trying to do tenons on the angle or the curve. The timber is standard 60mm thick stock bought straight from a local building supplier (I did not even know timber sizes so when I took in my drawing of the gate they had to convert to their sizing but it worked well enough) as for the finish you can see that I was a bit hasty when applying the stain to the rear and have to give it 1 more coat to help it "blend in" a bit more :oops:
Gates are both 5' width each and about 4.5' high

Hope that helps and I will have to start looking about for something else to keep me busy.

Cheers all

I just thought of a new project.
I was watching David Free today and he was using a router table a lot .... I think I need one now :D
are they hard to build ? and is it a good idea to get a set of plans (like Norms deluxe router station type) or just dive in and see what happens as I'm not scared of making mistakes .... after all they always tell you that you learn by your mistakes .... damn but I have learnt a lot hahaha

Back