18v Cordless Drill Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking for some 18v stuff to compliment my festool CXS now that my Ryobi batteries have expired. I like accuracy though and a lot of the big names now seem to have poor quality considering the price you pay.
I was already to buy into the Makita system starting with the DHP480 combi drill. I then came across posts about wobbly chucks on the makitas and that's put me right off the whole system. The wobbly chucks have also been commented on youtube channels where they pit a number of drills against each other to find a winner.

I'd like a brushless compact drill driver that I can also add a right angle chuck or bare tool to. Just like the CXS

Still looking...

-Neil

Well Ryobi now have an 18v brushless that might be of interest. If you want a right angle then their right angle drill is about £45.

That said I've got loads of Ryobi kit but find myself wanting a better drill. I want to try their new brushless one before I jump brand.

I too have the CXS and maybe that's why I would like a bigger and better 18v?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are in exactly the same place DiscoStu.
I have an 18v Ryobi Combi, their right angle drill and the reciprocating saw. Only my NIMH batteries have all failed.

After using the CXS I have been thinking I would like a better quality drill for the heavier tasks. But I would also like a system where I can swap the same batteries between a number of tools.
I have been attracted to the Bosch Flexi Click system and I have not read anything majorly bad about them yet. Expensive though :( The Right angle driver is Ok in the Bosch flexiclick but I also like the long handle and trigger that the Ryobi offers. The dedicated long handled right angle drill that Bosch offers is only 10.8v
I like the offset driver idea of the Bosch because often even the CXS is too large to get a screw in.
Festool also do an offset driver as well but I feel their system will be too expensive for me. Even though I have a few Festool drill bits (Shame they don't do a 2.5mm drill bit as I use that all the time for pilots).

-Neil

My Ryobi kit is ok. I've got 6 x Li batteries and they are all ok. I've also got about 15 of their tools so I'm not going to swap to a completely new system but I do think the drill driver I have could be better and I have the older jigsaw which I've always found to be poor. I'm not sure if the new jigsaw and brushless drill would be much of an improvement. I think an 18v Drill driver might be on the cards. I'm tempted by the Festool as I really love my CXS, but it's not cheap. Not sure I want to have another make of tools though I have Ryobi and Festool already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oaktree11":33s6axcu said:
Sorry, I am probably wrong in the detail to be honest. The point I was trying to make is that (especially in the USA) the old traditional brand names are not what they were, the names have been sold and the products are not necessarily as they were in quality terms.
Brand names are now tangible assets and can be capitalised on a balance sheet
The Canadian guy strips down and examines in detail brands like Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch etc. Sometimes its surprising what he finds
John
The biggest disaster was Record being swallowed and regurgitated as Irwin Record. :(

Back