18 mm shed door, heat loss thoughts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've cut out a 18 mm sheet of Tricoya to make a shed door from. It's a wide stable door and I'm planning on sticking false stiles on the back and rails. Everywhere else in the shed has........will have 40mm celotex, I'm just wondering if it'll be a major cold spot and whether I should increase the thickness (unwanted cost tbh)
The plan is to have a heater set to 5-10 degrees all year round then just turn it up when I'm using it.
Thoughts most welcome.
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I thickened my shed door to 50mm from it's original 12mm t and g. It includes a 30mm layer of insulation. The purpose was to reduce heat loss, cut down on noise so as not to annoy the neighbours, and to make the shed more secure. With the increased thickness I have been able to install a decent lock and replace the strap hinges with strong butt hinges all to help with security.

John

If its a standard sized door you will probably loose about 100w more heat than you would if it was insulated - that's based on a difference it temp of 15 deg C across the door and a rough stab at the U value of 40mm celotex applied.

Thanks for your thoughts chaps.
John I was thinking the other way that a strap hinge would help in this instance cause the doors only 36mm around the edges. I think I've shot myself in the foot a little bit. if I wanted to make it thicker I'd have to use the same ultra stable material- otherwise the other material will move ever so slightly and cause the door to bow ( it's 1050mm wide) then there's the added issue of the extra weight.
Jimmy, I can live with needing an extra 100watts if it means I can keep the weight down and stop me using another sheet.
It's all very much a big unknown to be honest- on paper I think it should be o.k, it just seems thin which bugs me a little. Part of me wishes I just used normal wood but then it'd taken ages and the timber cost a fortune. Be interesting to see if it withstands the winter weather !

Cheers

Coley

Could you not insulate the door with space blanket? It looks just like foil backed bubble wrap but has a u value equivalent to, I think, 200mm of fibreglass insulation.

MMUK":a7x1yi83 said:
Could you not insulate the door with space blanket? It looks just like foil backed bubble wrap but has a u value equivalent to, I think, 200mm of fibreglass insulation.
Something like that might work, hadn't thought of putting something thin between the layers as insulation.
The 2 panel sizes (where it'll only be 18 mm are 630x770. I've got a fair bit of 1mm thick tin- do you think that might add any extra insulation? I'm a bit of a scrooge when it comes to making stuff ! With the appropriate primer I could just leave it as the inside panel- with out v groove detail though....... it's like a ruddy riddle this is :)

Silas Gull":3mfhkdnt said:
Keeping the door closed will also help.
:idea: sometimes the simplest solutions are the best :lol:

3e3aece638f24f71cf9603ae50de2834.jpg

61bd8b6764d9debf85d40f9e6ce77fc1.jpg

I'm gonna have to assume the door will finish 36mm thick and carry on and make the frame for now. I'll come back to it when we've figured out the panel bit ;)
MMUK how thick is the space blanket stuff ? I've only got a piece off 12mm Tricoya left which is a bit thick up against the 18 mm stick on stiles + space blanket.

Coley

Been having a bit of a think about your door. :idea:
I think what MMUK mentioned is called Thermawrap. In which case the standard sort is 4mm thick. It would be possible to build up several layers of this one on top of the other, to fill the void created by the doors' stick on framing. (assuming I've read your post right!)

If you want to retain the door's framed, V groove appearance yet save weight, how about fixing a sheet of thin (4-6mm) WBP ply onto the stick on frames. Just a thought.

Bill.

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum !! I could go for the look of double boarded but I thought it might look a bit less obvious it's a fake if it looked like a single boarded door with stiles visible and different depth to the panel on the inside. I'm looking forward to it being fitted and finishing off the inside ! It's had 4 screws holding the roof down for months now [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Latest posts

Back