1600 watt power take off, 1650 watt Machine is that Ok?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmoose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Well on the spur of the moment, I bought a Ex demo Dewalt M class Dust extractor off ebay.
Only trouble I have just found my table saw is 1650 watt and the power take off is 1600 watt. Will this extra 50 watt mean I should not use it? Watts the worst that can happen? :) (Excuse the pun)

Well your saw will only take 1600W at start up and cutting thick timber and your extractor should have some tolerance so it might be o/k.
But you could all ways plug them in separately, I have my extractor on a remote controlled socket.

Pete

Most tools using motors have a surge in power to get the motor going, after that, the power comes down a bit. So if that 1600w includes the initial power draw, you might be ok.

mrmoose":1pnahbmz said:
Hi Folks,
Well on the spur of the moment, I bought a Ex demo Dewalt M class Dust extractor off ebay.
Only trouble I have just found my table saw is 1650 watt and the power take off is 1600 watt. Will this extra 50 watt mean I should not use it? Watts the worst that can happen? :) (Excuse the pun)

Interestingly enough, my Festool extractor has a big sign on it saying 500W, never had a problem running my 2.3kW saw off it :evil:

look at the pictures at axminster (linked above)
there is a big yellow sticker max. 2200w

Steve

Apparently there are some strange regs around for these things.

For my Festool Midi, if I am in the rest of the EU It is rated to 2400W for the take off, If it's used in Denmark or Switzerland it's rated to 1100W, in the UK it's 1800W, apart from mine which is 110v which is rated to 500W :?

I can see that the 110v version will be different, but this is exactly the same machine in each country.

Or do different countries use different electrons?

Different countries have different voltage rules.
Remember when the UK had 240 volt?
Then we had to downgrade to 200 to stop all the european stuff blowing up.

The uk works at a MINIMUM of 220 with a very close tolerance, other countries work at an AVERAGE of 220, and some even have a MAXIMUM of 220.

Here in Cyprus I'm supposed to get 220, but it often drops to 200 and below. Once after wondering why my kettle took a quarter hour to heat up I measured the incoming at 158 volts.
Voltage change affects wattage

Aha, that may explain things a bit better.

My general rule is that if you can smell the smoke getting out of the electric string it's time to turn something off :oops:

That's similar to the one where if you hear a big bang, you probably shouldn't have turned something on. Unless of course the bang follows cutting a cable with a pair of pliers, in that case check the pliers have rubber handles (hammer)

Thanks Folks,
On the basis of the replies I think I will risk it. :wink:
On the subject of power take off, is there a gizmo on the market that will trigger the vac to work when it senses a change in current through the ring main rather than using a remote for all my other tools? It would save trailing leads all over the place back to the vac if I could just plug into all my wall sockets and switch on thus triggering the vac.

Back