12' x 8' Shed - I'm thinking about dust extraction layout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 12' x 8' shed/workshop and now that I've had the electrics installed and the walls lined with plywood, I'm thinking about fitting some 40mm push fit ducting for dust extraction. I have a Scheppach DC100 shop vac with a 100mm flexible pipe that came with it and I've been juggling it between different tools as required.

My question really is, does it matter where the shop vac is located in the shed with regards to it's effectiveness?

It's currently in an enclosure and near to my table saw at one end of my workbench and I'm wondering if it should be more centrally located, i.e between 2 equal length of ducting rather than at the very end of one of them? I've tried to draw a plan to better show the layout, the blue box for where the vac might might be better located (although it would take up more valuable space), the orange box showing where it's currently located.

Thanks for any advice.

Shed layout - Dust Extraction.png

Think about work flow, which to me would be table saw - PT - bandsaw - bench etc.

Make so your project flows in a logical progression around the workshop.

Then if possible put the DX as close to the PT and table saw as possible as these are the greatest culprits and as far away from the bench as possible.

Finally put you bench under a window if possible to make use of natural light.

Thank you. The bench is by the window (y)
Will 40mm pipe be enough for a table saw and also the planer/thicknesser (which I'm still awaiting parts for)? I think 40mm will be large enough for the other tools.

Last edited:
You might want to think about upping the size of your pipe work or you may find you get problems with it clogging up when you use the PT

I would put the vac on wheels - I can't see how you use a tablesaw, bandsaw or P/T very effectively in that small space with long lengths so I think you'll have to wheel them outside to use them for bigger lengths. Keep the 40mm run you've shown with a quick disconnect.

Thanks all. (y)

The table saw is on wheels and it has been used outside for most of the time, I can just about manage it indoors with smaller pieces of plywood etc and it's had some use in the shed very recently.

I'm beginning to think that I should look at having a flexible 100mm outlet on the ceiling between the table saw and the P/T, then I can wheel either of them into the middle of the shed and feed any longer pieces of wood out through the door if need be.

The bandsaw is a BAS 316 on a four legged metal stand, I may well build a wheeled base for it at some point. I've used it quite a lot since buying it, although it's only been with smaller items so far.

The P/T was a hesitant buy and I wasn't even sure that I'd need one, but with the price that it was offered to me at, I took a chance keeping in mind that I could always sell it on.

Edit:
The vac is now in a cabinet under the bench and there's not enough height to put wheels on it,

I have a 16'x8' garage, similar to your space and I have two extraction sysytems. One, my chips and shavings one, is a big vac with a bag (or H.V.L.P.) is dedicated to the table saw and planer/thickneser. I have them clustered along one wall. On the other wall, I have lathe, drill, bandsaw, router table. They are served by a moveable fine dust and micro-particle collector: a green/yellow Record Power 'dalek' and cyclone (H.P.L.V.) with a 100mm to 60mm adapter. Presently, I am using old vacuum cleaner hose on it, but it's only about 38/40mm, will so upgrade to fixed 60mm a.s.a.p..

Your need both H.P.L.V. and H.V.L.P. Horses for courses. A Record Power or Camvac CAN be used as either, but with caveats over dust collection, filter clogging and motor overheating.

Where's do you folks get you're 100mm pipe and fittings from? Screwfix sell 10mm pipe but as far as I've seen it only comes in 1 metre lengths.

Back