12" planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danstewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks . I am looking for a 12" planer thicknesser on single phase. I have a limited budget of £1000 so will likely be a second hand hand machine. Can anyone recommend a model? Many of the ones I can see I.e. scheppach 3100 state a 16v supply is needed. Can I get a transformer to run this off a domestic 240v supply? Thanks all!

That will be a 16 Amp supply. So you would need a 16A circuit adding.

Do you need 12" in both functions - if not you could get a narrower planer and a 12" thicknesser as separates.

I have a Hammer A3 31 that I got second hand from a member on this forum. It is the same as this one that I have just found on Gumtree.....

https://www.gumtree.com/p/planers/hamme ... 1210720535

There is a later version of this machine available now that has the feature of lifting the cast iron tables in one, as opposed to this previous model that has seperate infeed & outfeed tables that have to be lifted individually. Also, the newer model has the option of a Tersa cutting head, which I believe the early model didnt have.

It is within your budget and I have been very pleased with the one I bought. It definately requires a 16 Amp supply though as mine kept blowing 13 Amp fuses when I first connected it up. I now have a dedicated 16 amp circuit for it and it works a treat.

Tim.

Danstewart":3kkcdlue said:
Hi folks . I am looking for a 12" planer thicknesser on single phase. I have a limited budget of £1000 so will likely be a second hand hand machine. Can anyone recommend a model? Many of the ones I can see I.e. scheppach 3100 state a 16v supply is needed. Can I get a transformer to run this off a domestic 240v supply? Thanks all!

I suspect you are confused between 16volt and 16amp. A 16am set up is 100% compatible with your 220/240 volt domestic supply but instead of the 13amp fuse in a 3 pin plug you have a round blue 16amp plug and a requirement for sufficient ampage on your consumer unit. The reason this machine has a 16amp requirement is the weight of the cutter block, requiring the capacitor to create a power spike to spin the block up and also to brake the machine within 6 seconds. You would need one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-surface-s ... ip44/1858f on your workshop wall with preferably an isolator switch http://www.screwfix.com/p/ip65-isolator ... -32a/18739 in line

Great shame as I sold my Robland 310 to a dealer a couple of months ago, was in mint condition and would much rather it had gone to an enthusiast.

Bob

Thanks very much folks this is really useful info. I will get a sparky in to look at putting in a dedicated 16a fuse in the consumer unit and look into the bits you recommend Ed. Bob, gutted you sold the Robland 310 it sound like just what I'm after!! Thanks again guys for all the help really appreciated! Love this site!

Danstewart":4gclr4xl said:
Thanks very much folks this is really useful info. I will get a sparky in to look at putting in a dedicated 16a fuse in the consumer unit and look into the bits you recommend Ed. Bob, gutted you sold the Robland 310 it sound like just what I'm after!! Thanks again guys for all the help really appreciated! Love this site!

It's always the same Dan :( Well within your budget as well so would have been worth the trip to Northumberland or a courier. Weighed a 1/4 of a tonne though!

Bob

I have a Sedgwick MB I'm delighted with and would heartily recommend. You might be lucky and find one in your budget but it needs a 32 amp circuit. If you're getting a spark in to do the wiring for you he should be able to do one as well as the other.

I have a Robland/Startrite SD310 that I keep forgetting to post in the forsale section (I figured £400 was fair for it). You could buy that one if you wanted - though I don't know what it would cost to ship it up to you. I could probably put it on a pallet though.

When I rented a workshop space I moved to separate machines for planing and thicknessing so, it's collecting dust at the moment. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get some pictures.

I wouldn't rule out a three phase machine .
Way less starting current and smoother running...
Just make sure the motor can be wired for optional low voltage Delta .
If you can see 220/240V on the motor nameplate, it's suitable for use with a VFD,
also known as an inverter.

memzey":3fns0c6g said:
but it needs a 32 amp circuit. If you're getting a spark in to do the wiring for you he should be able to do one as well as the other.

I would check your main board fuse before looking to buy something that needs 32A. Lots of boards are 32A or 40A max, which would be marginal for the machine and extraction, then you've got light, heat and other stuff running to think about as well.

It's wired to cope with a 92 amp rush on startup. I had it all done by a pro sparky who did all the calculations and certified it afterwards. I needed 16mm armoured cable run to the shed!

Latest posts

Back