10mm SWA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
I need 50m of 3 core SWA. Looking around online the prices inc delivery vary:

tlc-direct.co.uk 224
quickbit.co.uk 165
jcelectrics.com 140

Can anyone who's used one of the two cheaper sellers let me know if they are reliable?

Cheers,
Carl.

Carl

You can't ask a question like that without telling us what you are wiring up, I assume its a new supply to your workshop, or are you building a new house in the garden. :wink:

Mike

It's the long delayed power to my shed :) I've been running everything off a 50m extension for years :roll:

Finally figured out the best way to get it down there and started digging the trench.

Jcelectrics get good feedback on ebay with over 11k sales so they look ok. Ive had no personal experience though.

Have you tried ringing around your local wholesalers? -The problem I suppose is that without being a Sparkie with an account they prob wont give you the lowest trade price, hence TLC's highish price.

I don't know how you work, I work by myself so the likelihood of me demanding 73amps from the supply into my workshop is remote to say the least, even though I do have three phase, I have just split them into three single phase supplies on 2.5 cable and I only have the extractor and a machine on at the same time, sometimes I put the vacuum on as well to help extraction from another port, but that is the maximum demand I would ever have, the momentary surge of any machine is taken care of by the C type RCD's I have protecting the circuits, just a thought on the size of cable needed.

Mike

I've had conversations with a few sparkys over the years and the 10mm is apparently advised due to voltage drop over the distance. I wouldn't know, except that's always seemed about the right size when I've looked into it in the past.

Hmm, and you have been running everything off an extension lead for how long? and experienced how many power fluctuations?

Mike

Doesn't mean I'm going to go against the advice I've been given from several different sparkys for getting it done properly :) I agree I've been fine on an extension, although having said that I don't trust it. Lights dip, vac power fluctuates etc

Watching with interest a 65m power feed is needed for my shed, currently running off a temp extension lead which is 2.5mmsq and 30m long, single strip light dims a vbit when I start a machine but I can run the pt with Hoover extraction with out tripping anything. I'm umming and erring over 6mm or 10mm cable.

F.

Doing the tlc online voltage calculator I can get about 38 amps on 6mm and it jumps to 48 on 10mm. Seems to me to make sense to go for the bigger now as it's a one time only job. Lots of variables ofcourse. 6 would "do" but I would hate to get it all done then realise I should've spent the extra on 10mm for the sake of about £50.

RobinBHM":262vmmxi said:
Jcelectrics get good feedback on ebay with over 11k sales so they look ok. Ive had no personal experience though.

Have you tried ringing around your local wholesalers? -The problem I suppose is that without being a Sparkie with an account they prob wont give you the lowest trade price, hence TLC's highish price.

I've asked one or two sparkys, but no one has given me a decent price. As you say, I'm not trade with regards to getting it local cheaper. Cheers. Thinking I might go for quickbit.

I know **** all about this ...I just use a jcb 20m extension cable out of the house window to tale power to the shed when I need it!

If I was speccing up armoured cable from 6mm to 10mm 'just in case' ...given that I wanted it to be a one-off solution that I dont have to redo, then I wouldnt risk cutting costs on quality. I decided I simply couldnt be bothered to bury a cable ...but if I did then I'd talk to a manufacturer who produces various different qualities to try and understand what makes for a hi-quality cable.

These folk look ok ... but I've never taked to them (and I dont know a sparky who wouldnt try to rip me off! lol.. so I'd talk to manufacturers instead)

http://www.doncastercables.com/cables/6 ... tribution/

good luck!

where are you getting the supply from? 10 mm cable will run a very big electric shower, but if you already have an electric shower, theres a possibility you might overwhelm the main supply.

sunnybob":1lo9ru55 said:
where are you getting the supply from? 10 mm cable will run a very big electric shower, but if you already have an electric shower, theres a possibility you might overwhelm the main supply.

I don't know how it works to be honest. I seem to recall I'd be running from a separate connection on the main board and a consumer unit with RCB in the shed.

It's usual to run the earth through the armour rather than a separate cable.

I would run it in the biggest cable I could afford. 16mm is overkill and is not easy to handle....but I would use it for a 50 meter run.

A heater, 2Kw, an extractor, 2KW, a 3KW saw say, a few lights, radio, battery chargers, and anything else plugged in. 1Kw, you can easily get up to 8Kw (circa 33A). I appreciate I don't know what you have in kit so may be overboard, but I'd plan on the biggest you crave for should you win the lottery...... always find a way over the years to justify buying it! When you switch on the biggest motor you will get an inrush surge that pushes the amps really up, it's not the load carrying capacity it's the voltage drop that you want to avoid, motors don't like it and it reduces their life.

Hi Phil,
If the armour could be damaged or corrode a separate copper CPC (earth) should be used.

Carl

I was only pointing out the options, IMO if you go with 10mm you should take it off the main supply in your house consumer unit to an isolation switch inside said unit, then to another consumer unit inside your shed with its own RCD, then distribute it to the individual power outlets via MCB's personally I would source twin pole MCB's, that way if you do overload anything its your shed that will trip out first not the house, I also suggest putting in an emergency light over the shed consumer unit to allow you to see once its gone dark, Oh so dark, guarantee it will trip at night when you are working on something.

Oh yes it would be best if all the MCB's in the shed are motor rated C units.

Mike

Back