100watt light bulbs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see in the paper this morning that these new deadly death lights have there life significantly reduced by 85% if they are switched on and off quickly. :?

newt":3c0y2i0f said:
I see in the paper this morning that these new deadly death lights have there life significantly reduced by 85% if they are switched on and off quickly. :?

Yes, this was according to the Energy Saving Trust who said that these bulbs need to be left on for 15 minutes for them to start working properly. So on the bright side, when you go into the bog with the latest Axminster catalogue you have the perfect excuse to stay there for 15 minutes.

Or you have to remember to go back to the room fifteen minutes later - you know, the one that you popped into quickly to pick something up - to switch it off again. We don't and won't have them in our house and I have enough incandescent bulbs stockpiled to last my lifetime.

And besides, the heat that the incandescents poke out makes my radiator TRVs kick in that bit sooner.

I am actually surprised they've banned incandescents, for purely political/pragmatic/PR reasons.

The present state of the art of the efficient bulbs is almost good enough to make incandescents obselete anyway (pace the limitations presented in this thread), and the forthcoming LED based bulbs are definitely good enough.

There was no need to ban oil lamps, or gas lighting, and I don't think there'd be any need to ban incandescents in the next 5 years.

BugBear

newt":zk7w44fs said:

Has anyone managed to make these horrible long-life bulbs last as long as they say they will :? The one's I've bought never seem to last long :(

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi,

Yep 2 years dusk to dawn from the cheap Ikea ones.

Only three incandescent bulbs in our house, lava lamp cooker and microwave.

Pete

bugbear":3jdptyoj said:
BigShot":3jdptyoj said:
Roger - I concur.

As it happens, I believe the idea that man is causing global warming is complete hokum. I don't buy into it for a second. Not an invitation for debate, just a statement of fact

That's a remarkably, erm, "unusual" way to not invite a debate...

You are aware, I assume, that your "fact" is not universally accepted?

BugBear

Interesting.

I have a relatively open mind on the subject of the extent to which mankind contributes to global warming since, as with most things, I am presented with conflicting datasets by the promoters of and detractors from the theory. I do suspect however that much of the UK government's action is motivated by the generation of tax income rather than environmental concern.

What I cannot understand is the rather luddite tendency to cling to outdated technology when a newer one, which works perfectly well if suitably rated good quality bulbs are used, can save money. Refusing to change just to spite the eurocrats is perverse. It will cost you money in electricity bills and they neither know nor care what you are doing.

Anyone who believes there is euro-conspiracy to suppress freedom simply does not understand the operation of bureaucracy.

Just my opinion

Walter

RogerS":1t48s57u said:
If the EEC was serious about carbon footprint then why haven't they banned the use of outside space heaters?

Most likely because someone's Italian brother in law has a company making them.

bugbear":3dnuqxc5 said:
BigShot":3dnuqxc5 said:
Roger - I concur.

As it happens, I believe the idea that man is causing global warming is complete hokum. I don't buy into it for a second. Not an invitation for debate, just a statement of fact

That's a remarkably, erm, "unusual" way to not invite a debate...

You are aware, I assume, that your "fact" is not universally accepted?

BugBear
On that note, neither is the other fact, but that's not what I was saying.

The "fact" was my beliefs about the situation to give some context to what followed. It absolutely isn't an invite for debate, just context.

As for freedom and malice vs stupidity conspiracies and the likes, I think I've been misunderstood.

The very goal of most governments is control. It's just that simple. Our own government is anti-freedom, and the EU is even more so. Freedom means being left alone by government as long as you're not harming anyone else. The European and the British governments are in direct opposition to that concept.

There's a staggering amount of stupidity involved, but there's also a staggering contempt for freedom too.

Not some kind of underground cloak-and-dagger conspiracy, but people who just genuinely believe we're incapable of making our own choices.

Oh and to the person who made the post about obsolescence (bugbear I think)... I couldn't agree more.
I do resent being forced into using something I dislike AND which has definite effects on the environment as opposed to possible ones - but I'm not emotionally attached to incandescent bulbs... I just don't want to switch until there's actually a suitable alternative that doesn't mean dumping tons of mercury into landfill.

BigShot":3gvrmh9s said:
As for freedom and malice vs stupidity conspiracies and the likes, I think I've been misunderstood.

The very goal of most governments is control. It's just that simple. Our own government is anti-freedom, and the EU is even more so. Freedom means being left alone by government as long as you're not harming anyone else. The European and the British governments are in direct opposition to that concept.

There's a staggering amount of stupidity involved, but there's also a staggering contempt for freedom too.

Not some kind of underground cloak-and-dagger conspiracy, but people who just genuinely believe we're incapable of making our own choices.

At the risk of discussing politics I agree with you that most governments wish to exercise control and that the UK and European parliaments are as bad as many others in this respect, though far from the excesses of some third world dictatorships. It is also true to say that many politicians are motivated largely by the desire for power and control.

However, in your original comment you referred specifically to unelected eurocrats rather than politicians and it is in the context of this group that I believe that incompetence and detachment from reality play a greater role than desire for control.

Most bureaucrats would be amazed if you suggested that they were deliberately eroding your freedom. Their primary motivation is to further their own pointless careers by having their particular piece of nonsensical legislation accepted.

Whether the motivation for the legislation in question is control or genuine concern for the environment is debatable. What is not debateable is that it has been hastily implemented for political reasons.

Technology moves forward through public acceptance of innovation, not through enforcement.

Brittle...
I've worked with unelected elements of local government over here (both civil servants and voluntary sector) and the controlling, sometimes malicious nature of some of them would put some of the worst MPs to shame.

I'm sure that a lot of their nutjob ideas are accepted through the collective stupidity of others who are genuinely just a drain on the rest of us, but there are most cetainly some complete and utter crackpots in there too.

Some people with a nose for power run for election, others try to go for a more certain job and still loads of power by going in the back door. It's not got the glamour but by 'eck do some of them pack some clout!?

Anyway, agreed on the whole, especially about acceptance of innovation vs enforcement.

Indeed, I do not deny the existence of the control freaks in any walk of life and we do seem agreed that both control and incompetence are factors.

Incidentally, you do not say where "over here" is but my experience of bureaucracy comes from the NHS, an organisation plagued by ceaseless politically motivated reorganisations that serve largely to increase rather than reduce the management costs.

No doubt a pointless and expensive replacement programme of all light bulbs in hospitals whether they need replacing or not will be under way as I write.

No doubt. What's to bet they'll get a (self-granted) bonus for being so environmentally right on and managing to persuade someone somewhere that they saved money by chucking out thousands of perfectly good lights?

"Over here" - UK as opposed to in that Europe place, wherever that is. :p

Latest posts

Back