1/2 router for a router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a 1/2 inch router; that easy to adjust under a router table (rutlands).

Not looking for anything that fancy; I shall not be doing any kitchen fitting! So, do I really need a super fancy one? I will only be using it once in a while!

A bit vague, I know!

I have been tempted by Tritons.

They seem to come in three sizes - I wonder if the smallest would be powerful enough!

JOF001

Seems to come with a 1/2inch collet and height adjuster -which seems to be a good deal.

captainpk":1mgjelsg said:
I have been tempted by Tritons.

They seem to come in three sizes - I wonder if the smallest would be powerful enough!

JOF001

Seems to come with a 1/2inch collet and height adjuster -which seems to be a good deal.
The small one TBH would probably be under powered for table use. 1000 watts is ok for hand held. Especially if you ever decide to use bigger cutters such as panel raisers / door making sets etc.

Woodmonkey - thank you for reminding me about Yandles. May treat myself to the 1440W one, What is realy strange why the big and small ones come with:

Table height winder
1/2" collet
1/4" collet
Multi-function fence
Collet wrench

while the middle (1400W / 2-1/4hp) one come only with :

1/4" collet
1/2" collet
Multi-function fence

It would make the larger one seem better value, and maybe worth the extra £30.

My 1400w model came with the collet wrench - I'd be very surprised if any router didn't. I've since bought 6mm and 8mm collets.

yes yandles seem to be slightly cheaper than anywhere else i could find, free delivery too!

+1 for the Draper 45368, its a very capable machine both inside or outside of a table.

RogerP,

Where did you buy yours from?
Where do you buy the extra collets from?
Does your router have enough power for what you throw at it?
If you had to buy again, would you go for the bigger one?

captainpk":t1krbz5k said:
RogerP,

Where did you buy yours from?
Where do you buy the extra collets from?
Does your router have enough power for what you throw at it?
If you had to buy again, would you go for the bigger one?

Can't remember from where I bought the router but I'd probably just have done a web search and taken the best deal.
I do remember that at the time there was a much bigger price difference than there is now between the 1400w and the 2000w models. If the price difference had been small I'd have gone for the larger one. However, the 1400w has never baulked at anything I've used it for and, in my case and with hindsight, the larger router would have been unnecessary anyway.

Collets I bought from Triton ....

http://www.tritontools.uk.com/mof001sparesprice.html

Scroll right down to the last half dozen entries.
They might seem expensive but they are each full assemblies not just a collet.

Roger,

Sorry for all the questions, what sort of things have you used your router for in a table?

captainpk":3l9g0coz said:
Roger,

Sorry for all the questions, what sort of things have you used your router for in a table?
Anything where it safer to use the table rather than hand held. So usually smaller/ thinner ( within reason) pieces. Where as if you wanted to put an edge mould on say a full sheet of mdf, you would take the router to the mdf sheet.
Also some bits are too big for hand held so are needed in a table. Bits such as panel raisers, door / window making sets, finger joints etc. Sellers will say if the cutters are for table use only. :)

carlb40":2hw15bmd said:
captainpk":2hw15bmd said:
Roger,

Anything where it safer to use the table rather than hand held. So usually smaller/ thinner ( within reason) pieces. Where as if you wanted to put an edge mould on say a full sheet of mdf, you would take the router to the mdf sheet.
Also some bits are too big for hand held so are needed in a table. Bits such as panel raisers, door / window making sets, finger joints etc. Sellers will say if the cutters are for table use only. :)
Much same as Carl except I don't use man-made board. Mainly used in the course of furniture making in oak, ash, cherry etc. I do have a small router as well for the occasional stuff that can't go on the table but almost always use the table - the Triton has never been used out of it. :)

Still waiting for yandles to confirm the collet sizes and if the middle router comes with the winder.

My gut is saying that the middle size will be fine for me. I hope, I do not regret that. Since the smallest one does not have the rack and pinion option, I have ruled this one out.

Any one know of any offers on Yandles?

Back