01332 16amp cable length

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanN

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all.

Can anyone with the iTech/SIP 01332 please advise the length of cable supplied with the saw. I've an electrician coming around tomorrow to quote on installing a 16amp supply, and need to determine where to place the outlets.

Anyone installed a column in the middle of the work area to provide outlets, rather than having trailing cables?

Thanks.

The place to put the sockets will be behind the machine, if you have a column in the middle of the working area then unless the machines are in the middle you will end up with trailing cables and potentially trip hazzards. Because these type of sockets are industrial you do not get a lot of choice because there is no cosmetic aspect unlike with 13 amp sockets where you can get suspended sockets and floor sockets.

The electrician will be able to advise, machines have enough cable to reach a socket that is in a suitable place, it is not expected that the cable is so long as to have to reach a socket a long way off.

What @Spectric said.

Decide where you want the saw then pick a place on the wall behind it but left or right where you'll be able to access the switch. Just mark it (or a couple of options) with a bit of masking tape. Put it high enough up that if you ever reorganise and fit a bench against the wall, there will be enough room below the socket to get the plug in and out and several inches more to have an easy radius on the power cable.
I'm personally a big fan of all-in-one interlocked switch sockets for industrial outlets, and if you get one with the socket on the bottom, not the front, the plug will hang vertically close to the wall instead of sticking out where you'll bump it.
This is a top brand top priced example but there are lots to choose from out there
20230226_110001.jpg

and/or put a couple of extra sockets in while the sparks is there.....future proof....
with the price increase of items like the above and labour in next 5 years u'll be glad u did....

Thanks for the replies. The saw will be going in a central position with a couple of tables behind it to act as outfeed and assembly. My thinking was to erect a timber column behind the tables and drop a 16amp and a few 13amp sockets onto it, removing the need to trail cables from the surrounding walls. I'll chat to the electrician and see what's feasible.

Sounds like the machine will be in the middle, in which case a column of some sort would be a better idea as the last thing you want are trailing cables. In the industrial enviroment this would be the same as mounting the socket onto a stanchion. If you also want 13 amp sockets these would need to be on a different circuit to the 16 amp supply, I have seen them just taken from the 16 amp supply because there is a fuse in the plugs for 13 amp sockets but it is not good / best practice.

Electrical wholesalers all sell "unistrut" which is another way of doing this.
Think meccano on steroids, with a range of angle brackets and all sorts.
It's quite affordable to do two lengths floor to ceiling maybe 12 or 18" apart, put a plate or board between at the chosen height and fix the outlets to that. The main benefits are speed of install, strength, and the smallest practical footprint. Also easier to move if you ever alter the layout.

If you've never met unistrut, it's worth googling and download the catalogue to see how versatile it is. It's available in different lengths and pre and post galvanised varieties. Pre galv is cheaper and fine for indoor use. A staple of commercial / industrial installation it's nearly as versatile as duck tape !

Unistrut cuts with just a hacksaw / portaband (sparkies buy those for cutting unistrut and steel conduit) / recip saw or an angle grinder.

Morning all.

Can anyone with the iTech/SIP 01332 please advise the length of cable supplied with the saw. I've an electrician coming around tomorrow to quote on installing a 16amp supply, and need to determine where to place the outlets.

Anyone installed a column in the middle of the work area to provide outlets, rather than having trailing cables?

Thanks.
I took mine over, pinned to beams, then socket 'above' the p/t for just that reason.
Keeps it out of the way.

Back