Wooden Buckets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah there's a thought - does Rhyolith want this project as an excuse to buy a table saw and a big electric router in a table (like Charles Neil) or an whole assortment of axes froes, drawknives and curvy planes, like the others? How much of his tool barn is still empty? We deserve to know! :D

With regard to the Swiss bucket maker, I don't know if it is mentioned in the video but the handles on the milking buckets are designed so that they can be picked up one handed. There is the round hole for the thumb and the rectangular/elliptical hole for the four fingers. As such, the spacing on the holes on the handles are made to measure depending on the hand span of the user. So, if you are hand milking your goat, be warned.

Think those videos will answer some of my questions, the main thing I am uncertain about is how to work out the geometry to fit all the pieces together. They will be quite rough and ready out of pallet wood so not so fancy as many of these.
AndyT":1gvfj69l said:
Ah there's a thought - does Rhyolith want this project as an excuse to buy a table saw and a big electric router in a table (like Charles Neil) or an whole assortment of axes froes, drawknives and curvy planes, like the others? How much of his tool barn is still empty? We deserve to know! :D
I am pretty much out of space now ;)

Well heres my first attempt!

Octagal Wooden Bucket by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Octagal Wooden Bucket by Rhyolith, on Flickr

It certainly not perfect, two of the compound mitres don't fit all the way along. Still I was expecting far worse! I think a way to accurately measure the angles would help a lot, I used a sliding bevel and a picture of a protractor (hammer) probably a real one would help :wink:

That would be good enough to put the Christmas tree in! Well done.
Sounds like you missed a tool buying opportunity though!

That's really nice! How much does the wood swell up if you fill it with water? I seem to remember something about building wooden boats and making the wood smaller than it needed to be so that when the sea water got into it the whole thing swelled (? swole?) up and made a tight seal

I might have a go at this, perhaps a little later... I'll put it on my bucket list. :oops:

there is an interesting video about bucket making, If you search for George Smithwick cooper on you tube there is a 50 minute video on how he makes buckets.

Cheers Edd

Just seen someone else has already referenced the exact video i was talking about, sorry been a long day.
Edd

Back