wet grind stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a slow turning, large diameter (12" or more) wet stone grinder?
Or 10" alternatives to Tormek T7?

Bit obvious, but you could keep watching on ebay. I think you need to be a bit inventive on what you search for though. This one, for example, was listed in garden architectural antiques, and did not have the word 'grindstone' in the description. Nevertheless it seems to have been in immediately usable condition and sold for £70 which is probably unusual.

There must be some around which aren't knackered agricultural junk - I remember we had one in school in the 1970s which was electrically driven, but had the full size wheel with a drip tank on top and a sump underneath. The plane blades fitted into a parallelogram holder which slid neatly from side to side across the full width.

Thanks for that. It's my old school one which I had in mind - big and simple (many happy hours gathered around sharpening our flick knives and other weapons :roll: ). The new ones are too gadgety for my tastes - too many jigs and extras.

i have the t7 predecessor and its worth every penny. mind you i did get all the jigs,,, except the drill bit one for £50

Jacob":xxsq4kf2 said:
Thanks for that. It's my old school one which I had in mind - big and simple (many happy hours gathered around sharpening our flick knives and other weapons :roll: ). The new ones are too gadgety for my tastes - too many jigs and extras.

You can use them without the jigs Jacob, but I agree, they don't have the romance of an old 'Farmyard' stone wheel about 30" in diameter and 5 inches thick. They don't need a slave to turn them either!

We rigged our one at school to the lathe, with suitable sized pulleys. Didn't see any flick knives though. :mrgreen:

John :D

Re http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

Jacob, please beware of a tight fitting iron axle in a stone rusting further and splitting the stone.

I've been reading up on making one of these on bodgery fora as I found a stone at the car boot. It's a modern one, escaped from a Tormek or similar and it has plastic inserts for the axle to go through, taking any rust expansion instead of the stone.
The down side to this is I will have to cut a thread either side to tighten a plate each side to hold it centred.
Otherwise I'm sorted. A mate gave me a pair of plummer block 1/2" bearings and I got me a 1/3Hp motor complete with 5 speed belt wheels. (I'll be using the littlest one).
The idea of a treadled fly wheel did cross my mind but that would take up a lot of room I haven't got.

Benchwayze":3riq9z8y said:
Stick it in place of the back-wheel of an old bike, and buy a slave! \:D/

John (hammer)

Like this?

or this do you mean?

(It's not such a strange idea - I saw something similar in Barcelona - sorry no picture though.

Bothers me somewhat to admit. But I do remember the old bicycle knife grinder around home. Of course I was very, very young.

xy

AndyT":2g88hckk said:
Benchwayze":2g88hckk said:
Stick it in place of the back-wheel of an old bike, and buy a slave! \:D/

John (hammer)

Like this?

or this do you mean?

(It's not such a strange idea - I saw something similar in Barcelona - sorry no picture though.

Yeah. That would work. Maybe I dredged it up from my subconscious Andy!
I am 'Splurgity' three you know!
:D

John

I meant like this...

Treadle.jpg

The type used on a treadle lathe. You'd have to gear it down again though for a slow wheel unlike a lathe or bench grinder.

Latest posts

Back