Valve spring compressor. Cheap, hold down lever clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been pondering on this for a while and have now taken the plunge. It works on a 'pivot point' to close much like Mole Grips. It struck me that will a little alteration it would work as a nice easy to use hold down. I've just bought the one in the pic bellow off ebay for £11 inc postage. I imagine it could be used as it is by placing the leg under the bench, but I intend to cut the bend off and weld a bar onto it that fits my bench dog holes. I'll update when I've done it.
I know that it will work as I use a similar gadget, although much smaller, that came with my Bosch chop saw. I've priced them and they're £35 to buy and fairly small in comparison.
I've searched for an example of something similar to show a price, but there isn't one. All the adjustable ones require screwing to the bench and the ones that go through dog holes are the old hammer in type.

A valve spring compressor. For those who have never seen one

$_12.JPG

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 1,192
Oh my Gawd, your a genius, I've had one of those hanging up in my workshops along with the torque wrenches etc. since the 1960's when rebuilding engines was the only way I could afford a vehicle.
Every time I've grabbed a torque wrench I've looked at them but could not bring myself to sling them as they are in pristine condition.
With numerous sketches about the place relating to quick clamp designs to assemble my turnings the connection never manifested itself.
DSCN4307.JPG
DSCN4308.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4307.JPG
    DSCN4307.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,173
  • DSCN4308.JPG
    DSCN4308.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,173
:lol: I should have cleaned Ebay out of them.......yet another missed opportunity to make a million!

I've also retained my valve spring compressor and torque wrenches from my DIY car mechanic days! That's an interesting adaption, though I do wonder if there's not a car mechanic forum somewhere singing the praises of using a carpenter's holdfast (inserted into the cylinder head bolt-holes) for compressing valve springs :idea: (hammer)

Brilliant. I read a discussion somewhere on a functionally equivalent offering from Veritas - a hold down with a snail like cam on the top for tightening. IIRC the asking price was £85!

Back