unusual hinge problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
Hi - I'm hoping one of you might be able to help me with a solution: I'm making a bench (mostly in my head atm) and I'm incorporating a circular saw into it. What I also want to do is add a second sacrificial woodwork bench layer on top of the circular saw layer, but that is hinged on the long edge so that when the top woodbench layer is folded out, it then becomes a saw extension table for the saw layer.

The problem I'm having is far as I can see all hinges that that will close in the correct way to have the 2 layers on top of one another, also have the knuckle for the hinge on the top when laid out flat, this will cause an issue as it will get in the way when in "saw extension table" mode.

Anyone ever come across a hinge where when folded flat, the knuckle is on the outside?

would be perfect, ty Carlb40 - I looked at flush hinge, but the way it's made meant in the opened out position the saw extension table would then be lower than the saw table area - and I've kinda assumed that's a bad idea as the work could tip or something and climb up the blade facing you.

However another solution came to me; as there's going to be support struts and such for the sacrificial workbench layer - I thought maybe I could just use a normal heavy duty hinge knuckle down and cut the rebate for it on the upper wing at the same angle as when it's fully opened at 30deg or whatever it is. Then when the 2 layers are laid out flat side by side, the hinge is still working normally even though one angle is different from the other.

Would a few bar flap hinges work? When your protective layer is in place it will be like having the flap folded back onto the bar. When it is folded down as an extension it will be like it is with the flap closed.

163429.jpg

AndyT":2ome223c said:
Would a few bar flap hinges work? When your protective layer is in place it will be like having the flap folded back onto the bar. When it is folded down as an extension it will be like it is with the flap closed.

163429.jpg

+1
These are the answer.

Any hinge with only one pivot MUST protrude above the surface at the join, or it won't open.

Ahh yes thanks Andy - that is a much simpler and more efficient solution, easier to fit and cheaper too - those soss hinges were expensive, I'm guessing the inspiration came during a quiet pint :) hehe.

Not a total loss though carlb40 - those soss hinges were the unwitting answer to enable a double fold side leaf for a dining table project I'd like to make.

Latest posts

Back