Turning pens. What do I need?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
For some reason when I started turning I was against turning pens. I've come round now and wouldn't mind making some for Christmas presents if I can get some done in time.

It's not something I've done much research on or watched many videos on. What's the minimum equipment that I would need to get started? Ideally I'd like to turn slimmer pens and I'm a big user of mechanical pencils so I wouldn't mind making a few of those too.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

You could make them simply by turning between centres but using a mandrel is simpler.
You will need..
A mandrel https://www.google.co.uk/search?sclient ... l&tbm=shop
A pen kit of your choice
A set of bushings for the pen kit of your choice ( different pen kits use different size bushings)
A drill bit for the pen kit of your choice ( different pen kits use different size tubes therefore drill bits)
Regular gouges
Abasive/ sandpaper to a fine finish.
Something to finish your pens with, CA (superglue from the pound shop) or CABLO ( ca and boiled linseed oil) is simple cheap and hardwearing.

And practice :D

+ something to press fit the pen together. a pen press, or a clamp will do the job.

nev":1eg12qed said:
You could make them simply by turning between centres but using a mandrel is simpler.
You will need..
A mandrel https://www.google.co.uk/search?sclient ... l&tbm=shop
A pen kit of your choice
A set of bushings for the pen kit of your choice ( different pen kits use different size bushings)
A drill bit for the pen kit of your choice ( different pen kits use different size tubes therefore drill bits)
Regular gouges
Abasive/ sandpaper to a fine finish.
Something to finish your pens with, CA (superglue from the pound shop) or CABLO ( ca and boiled linseed oil) is simple cheap and hardwearing.

And practice :D

To add to this list

This is optional a mandrel saver
Pen blank trimming tool this is if you buy a separate mandrel as it comes in some of the kits
Some thing to push the kit together once turning is complete preferably with soft jaws.

And lastly deep pockets as it can sometimes get very addictive.

Start with the slimline kits as they tend to be the cheapest so if you do mess up not much money is wasted. Start with wood and work up to other materials as you become more experienced

Any recommendations on mandrels? What kind of issues would you expect a cheaper mandrel to have in comparison with better ones?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I've recently started this and bought the £20,mandrel from Axminster and it's fine. I think the advantage of the compression option is that it's quicker and you use the tail stock handle to get the pressure rather than a nut on the mandrel but to be honest mines been fine. I've had some pretty good results. The first couple I did were a bit poor but seem to have got the hang of the sizing. I also bought the cheap £5 pen blank trimming tool and that made life a lot better. I use a vice with MDF faces to push my pens together. I also made a simple jig to help drill the centres. I would suggest buying half a dozen of the same kit to start with so you get used to one pen and then try some others. If you buy from Axminster they tell you if you need a bushing kit or not. One of the kits I bought had excellent instructions on the site that you could download. I'm going to try some acrylics next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Beartricks,
My minimum equipment consists of scrap/offcuts of timber,extra long (200mm) 4mm drill bit and a pack of 10 biros .Drill the blank ,turn to the shape you like,apply the finnish and then fit the insert from the biro,simple quick and cheap ,less than 50p each.I give them away to friends and family,and to customers at the craft fairs.Could not do that if I used kits,just a bit of PR.

What diameter are most Mandrels, I can't see the size mentioned anywhere?

Latest posts

Back