VHS outer cases - what plastic are they made from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
I've been searching to no avail to find out what plastic the OUTER cases are made from - the actual tapes are made from PP and not home recycleable, but I'm wondering about the outer case; specifically if it's a member of the HDPE family which can be made into blocks or sheets at home.

The majority of the cases I've looked at don't have any symbol.

Don't google for yourself unless you enjoy wading through pages of homemade things repurposing the various bits, the majority of which are truly ghastly...

#5 (polypropylene)

Weird, as I was watching a load of ''recycle your HDPE into turning blanks'' youtubes yeaterday.

Do the HDPE recycling thing, it's pretty cool.
I made big fat wheels for my table saw and some bench dogs. Fun to play with for sure.

Is this the same stuff transparent milk cartons are made of?

We plan to replace our microwave in the January sales and I thought I might use the old machine to batch melt a load of these.

lurker":2rcxw0wb said:
Is this the same stuff transparent milk cartons are made of?.

Yes sir, milk containers/cartons are made of HDPE. So are their caps.

I am saving up the gold tops from Robinsons fruit and barley squash to make a mallet.

Pete

Racers":us1ctv13 said:
I am saving up the gold tops from Robinsons fruit and barley squash to make a mallet.

Pete

Might be quicker to go to Ikea and buy their cheap cutting boards, they are made from #3 so not quite as rigid and hard as #4 but you can still cut circles out of them and thread them onto a long bolt and set that into a handle.

Naz, are you sure it's PP? the cassette itself is PP and is hard and brittle but the outer clam shell is much softer and pliable by comparison and what led me to think it might be more easily recycleable.

I'm definitely wanting to do the HDPE recycling, it looks simple enough and the #4 version is rock hard in block form (I have a small sample) and can even be tapped.

"VHS tapes are made with two different types of plastic. The outer cassette is typically made of polypropylene (PP) or #5 plastic. The inside ribbon is made with Mylar, a type of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or #1 plastic. The ribbon is coated with iron oxide and other metals, some of which are hazardous."

https://cepe.org.uk/recycle-vhs-tapes/

Racers":3alg06q9 said:

Pete
Ha ha, me to, but only cause I saw you post it somewhere. How many do you reckon it'll take ? I messed up completely the other week, bought Robinsons with a blue lid.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have over a years worth of tops and the rings, nearly enough I think.
I get through about two bottles a week at work so well over 100 probably, it’s been slow going.
I have roped a couple of people towards the cause, it’s tempting seeing all those bottles lined up in the supermarket!

Pete

Racers":1i28ge6h said:
I have over a years worth of tops and the rings, nearly enough I think.
I get through about two bottles a week at work so well over 100 probably, it’s been slow going.
I have roped a couple of people towards the cause, it’s tempting seeing all those bottles lined up in the supermarket!

Pete
Do you reckon you might do a wip when it gets nearer the time, pretty please ? I might try some milk cartons first to see how I get on.

Thanks Pete. I'd guestimate I've only got around 15, so I've some way to go yet. If we were to cover the supermarket bottles with clingfilm and a cable tie, I can't see any reason they'd get angry.

Seriously guys give it a go.
Make sure you save all the swarf/shavings/offcuts/dust :lol: It can all be reused again if you fancy it.

Coke bottle tops and milk bottles:-

9U38L9Nm.jpg

y3ga2H8m.jpg

Bench dogs bottom pic, offcuts, a scraper for defrosting the freezer and some shavings top pic :lol:

I was thinking I'd need to cut them in smallish pieces and boil it in a saucepan ? Is there any hints tips that might help? Apologies for the thread diversion.

phil.p":2i10zjwv said:
lurker":2i10zjwv said:
We plan to replace our microwave in the January sales and I thought I might use the old machine to batch melt a load of these.
Will it work? As microwaves work on the water content I wouldn't have thought?

I wouldn't think a microwave would work, it won't generate heat.

ColeyS1":inzz6dgz said:
I was thinking I'd need to cut them in smallish pieces and boil it in a saucepan ? Is there any hints tips that might help? Apologies for the thread diversion.

I cut all of my stuff up really small. I know on YouTube some of them leave it in large pieces, but a lot seem to get voids in the finished pieces.
Plus the ex wife was a plastic moulding engineer years ago and they reground spoiled products into little beads to go through again. The plastic she used came in bags ground up into little beads. Actually I expect a loot of you have had some of her products in your bathrooms :lol:

I melted it in the oven at about 200c on an old baking tray, adding a few sprinkles every 10 minutes.
When I had a large enough lump it was on with the gloves and kneaded like dough. Back in for a good reheat then into a mould and then properly squished in the vice.
It shrinks as it cools so you need a bigger piece than your intended finished size. Plus keeping on with the pressure as it was cooling down worked very well in keeping voids away.
The stuff I've made has been solid throughout doing it this way. First trials gave some varying (see cr4p) results.
Take care with the hands though, it can be a bit of a beggar #-o :lol:

n0legs":2282b5kr said:
ColeyS1":2282b5kr said:

I cut all of my stuff up really small. I know on YouTube some of them leave it in large pieces, but a lot seem to get voids in the finished pieces.
Plus the ex wife was a plastic moulding engineer years ago and they reground spoiled products into little beads to go through again. The plastic she used came in bags ground up into little beads. Actually I expect a loot of you have had some of her products in your bathrooms :lol:

I melted it in the oven at about 200c on an old baking tray, adding a few sprinkles every 10 minutes.
When I had a large enough lump it was on with the gloves and kneaded like dough. Back in for a good reheat then into a mould and then properly squished in the vice.
It shrinks as it cools so you need a bigger piece than your intended finished size. Plus keeping on with the pressure as it was cooling down worked very well in keeping voids away.
The stuff I've made has been solid throughout doing it this way. First trials gave some varying (see cr4p) results.
Take care with the hands though, it can be a bit of a beggar #-o :lol:
That's an excellent how to guide, thank you. I was expecting it to turn to liquid and be able to pour it, so the insight is very helpful. It sounds very similar to polymorph.

NazNomad":9xj61xu8 said:
"VHS tapes are made with two different types of plastic. The outer cassette is typically made of polypropylene (PP) or #5 plastic. The inside ribbon is made with Mylar, a type of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or #1 plastic. The ribbon is coated with iron oxide and other metals, some of which are hazardous."

https://cepe.org.uk/recycle-vhs-tapes/

Hi Naz - I think we're cross purposes, I'm not talking about the cassette parts, inner or outer; I mean the clam shell case that the cassette sits inside, the one with the plastic clear film and paper insert for the name of the movie - it feels softer and more pliable than the cassette, I can squish it with my fingers.

THAT plastic is what I'm thinking might be possible to home recycle.

Back