Cutting bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david123

Established Member
Reaction score
I am shortly going to make an MFT (top) style cutting bench using 18mm MDF and also would like to use it for glue ups. I seem to remember someone suggesting using Danish oil to Finnish it,to stop the run out from Sticking to the bench. Anybody tried this?

Thanks

no. i was wondering myself whether to wipe a bit of oil across my new top.

Danish Oil works on MDF, but go careful as MDF drinks finishes to the point where it starts to swell and distort. I'd roller on one even coat on both faces then let it dry before putting on another coat. It'll soak right in and you'll be tempted to go over it again immediately, resist that urge. If you brush it on it's all too easy to apply too much. I put some paste wax on my MFT and I've had no glue problems.

If you're asking whether Danish oil will help glue not to stick the answer is a definite yes.

A thin coat of shellac or varnish will work similarly; just one dilute wiped coat can be enough, there's no need to build any sort of noticeable film to provide some level of protection from glue sticking.

I think BLO will also work but I've not tried it in the long term. I've used linseed where I knew I'd get glue on the surface and wouldn't be wiping it off when wet (usually when doing something with epoxy) but the oil wasn't left for long enough for it to 'dry', only overnight.

Some people suggest it's a good idea to treat/seal the MDF before you put the holes in, that way you don't get any build up in the holes which can affect the fit of the dogs.

Doug

custard":2na4z6v0 said:
Danish Oil works on MDF, but go careful as MDF drinks finishes to the point where it starts to swell and distort. I'd roller on one even coat on both faces then let it dry before putting on another coat. It'll soak right in and you'll be tempted to go over it again immediately, resist that urge. If you brush it on it's all too easy to apply too much. I put some paste wax on my MFT and I've had no glue problems.

Hi mate
Thanks for that, did you mean paste wax over the Danish oil when its dried the or on its own, and what past wax did you use?
Thanks

Hi Doug
I had the same thoughts about drilling the hopes first, it makes sense, thanks

Thanks for all your th thoughts.'

I think I would use a couple of thin coats of shellac or varnish and then wax it to stop glue sticking.

Thanks Rorschach
I am spoilt fror choice.
Another Devon resident,sun shining here at the moment. Long may it last.

david123":21nd5gf4 said:
custard":21nd5gf4 said:

Hi mate
Thanks for that, did you mean paste wax over the Danish oil when its dried the or on its own, and what past wax did you use?

Just paste wax on it's own prevents glue problems, I've waxed cramping blocks and laminating cauls for many years and have never had problems. Use a couple of coats initially then refresh it with a single coat every so often. Any paste wax will do, a lot of makers swear by Black Bison but personally I think it's overpriced and it pongs a bit. Axminster do an own label paste wax that's half the price and every bit as good.

ED65":2e7k1dcn said:
A thin coat of shellac or varnish will work similarly; just one dilute wiped coat can be enough, there's no need to build any sort of noticeable film to provide some level of protection from glue sticking.

That's poor advice. Many glues will adhere to "one dilute wiped coat" of shellac, especially on MDF. If you shellac you should put a coat of wax on top.

Apply your wax etc before cutting the holes. Then you won't waste great lumps of wax down the holes. Wipe round each hole with a waxy rag will treat the holes afterwards.

david123":gzmx7t3z said:
God idea, thank you.

Sorry, not allowed. :D

(6b.) No Religious or Ethnic Discussion.
Due to the persistent actions of a few members to continually bring ethnic and religious topical content into threads and in several instances have started threads worded such as to be obvious they would deteriorate into religious and/or ethnic soap box performances; it has been decided that there will be no tolerance shown to such content, posts seen by the moderating team will be removed and the member posting such given a posting holiday.
The posting of projects or artefacts constructed with a religious theme will be allowed but any submitted posts in such threads will only be tolerated in respect of workmanship.

whiskywill":g6zb76en said:
david123":g6zb76en said:
God idea, thank you.

Due to the persistent actions of a few members to continually bring ethnic and religious topical content into threads and in several instances have started threads worded such as to be obvious they would deteriorate into religious and/or ethnic soap box performances; it has been decided that there will be no tolerance shown to such content, posts seen by the moderating team will be removed and the member posting such given a posting holiday.
The posting of projects or artefacts constructed with a religious theme will be allowed but any submitted posts in such threads will only be tolerated in respect of workmanship.

In Indo-Germanic dictionaries, only one word resembles "god." It is ghodh and is pronounced the same. This word means union, also sexual union or mating. According to Luneburger Wörterbuch, the following are the same word: Gott, got, gode, gade, god and guth (gud). True Believers should never use the word 'God', when referring to Yahshua, Yahweh, or El Elyon.

Now I suppose I'm sexist 8)

david123":hulb3i3y said:
whiskywill":hulb3i3y said:
david123":hulb3i3y said:
God idea, thank you.

In Indo-Germanic dictionaries, only one word resembles "god." It is ghodh and is pronounced the same. This word means union, also sexual union or mating. According to Luneburger Wörterbuch, the following are the same word: Gott, got, gode, gade, god and guth (gud). True Believers should never use the word 'God', when referring to Yahshua, Yahweh, or El Elyon.

Now I suppose I'm sexist 8)

It's hypothetically possible that I am "deeply disappointed" and "highly offended" 8)
:D

All wax pasted and polished. I have an offcut that I have been testing with various drill bits most get clogged up but a 200mm auger cuts through ok but doesn't leave a very crisp hole. I will be using a leaf of my Walco portable workbench as a template (it's the same as the MFT, but at 25mm thick ply I should have no problems keeping the drill perpendicular.)
I will also be using a backing sheet on the underside to stop tear out.

Any ideas?

I have the Axminster set but they clog up quite rapidly. I have just been looking at the Colt Maxicut bits and it looks like they may perform better. Not sure, has anybody used them? I don't mind the expense as long as they work.

Thanks

Myfordman":jwlpqk9a said:
IMHO, A good quality forstner will get you crisp holes. Avoid the cheap ones.

I stand corrected, I just remembered I have a 40mm Fisch in the workshop and it works a treat. I will order o 20mm one up today.

Thank you

Back