Opinions/Ideas please - re. mounting router table on bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blockplane

Established Member
Reaction score
Good/Dumb idea ?

I am very short of space, and am considering mounting my router table (or a shop made version) on the back of my bandsaw (old but good Kity) table so as to serve as a table extension for the saw as well as getting the router table out of the way. This would also give me plenty of room under to fit a simple 'screwjack' router lift.

Saw is on a castor base, so access to all sides not a problem.

Will the saw take the extra weight, or will it distort the table mountings? Can anyone see any other possible objections?

Many thanks in anticipation.
Rob

I can see a couple of issues.
out of balance so you would need at least more support legs at the end of the table.
you would be severely restricted as to the length of pieces you are routing (it would hit the blade or the frame).

Think this would take up more room than bench top router table that you could move around as and when needed.

As said I wouldn't cantilever it off the table but with some extra legs cant se why it wouldn't work. As a table extension would imagine it would be very handy. As for hitting the blade when routing long lengths maybe the router fence can be set up at a slight angle to avoid hitting the blade of the saw or if only occasionally routing lengths it's a quick job to remove the blade on the Kity.

Thank you for your thoughts gentlemen.

I was actually thinking of fitting the router table at 90 degrees to the bandsaw, so fouling not an issue.

Having had a closer look at the table mounting, it isn't that substantial, so any idea of mounting to the table has been abandoned.

Head scratching continues....

Make your own stand alone router table, put on wheels and you cant stash it anywhere you want when not in use.

Fill the underside with drawers for storage space. Lots of vids on the tube, or (if youre really good) you could try to copy Andy's one;
large-router-table-wip-t104699.html

Lovely idea Bob, but as I said, space is at a premium - I had to get rid of my tablesaw as there wasn't room to move.

I'm managing without a table saw (just) but I couldnt cope without the router table.

do you have a work bench?

I had my router mounted underneath my workbench before I built this one. was a great location for it.

Back