Advice on removing stuck collet and bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memzey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I've managed to get a half inch bit and collet stuck in my router (DW625). The collet nut is free but the bit and collet are held in a vice like grip of death. Any sage advice from those on here in the know on how to get them out?

You can try holding the bit and twisting it and the collet out of the router spindle whilst spindle lock is on
Or gently heating ( with a cooks blowtorch) the spindle
Or tapping the bit side to side with a soft/copper mallet

Make sure the collet is clicked into the nut in future so it self extracts

Ian

Memzey I'm in the pub mate just having a quick one after work but I'm sure I recall there is a method for this. Just cant remember what it is...
Summat to do with loosening then retightening the collet? Try googling your specific router and the issue. I'm very vaguely sure it might even be a design feature. I've definitely read a solution to it on here somewhere. Worth a look before applying firmer methods at least.
The Guinness is lovely btw. :p
Cheers
Chris

I've seen on a YT video somewhere, advice saying you should try tighten it more to break the seal
Have not tried it though
Tom

I have an old Bosch, I suspect the collet is much smaller but when mine jam I rotate the cutter so as not to hit the cutting edges and give it a whack with a spanner.

Pub on a Sat. lunchtime? Sometime in the distant past I seem to remember... :(

My friend had this with his I seem to remember I had to take the nut off and knock the collet out with a nail punch he did buy a new collet for before he used it again

Thanks guys. Drama over as I managed to get it out with some judicious raps to the side with a screwdriver. Definitely going to make sure the nut and collet are clicked into place in future!

Glad you got it sorted. Just for future reference, if you use heat, you need to heat the collet more than the bit (so that the collet expands over the bit).
Collets should be regarded as not exactly disposable, but definitely consumables. A router will probably have a few collets in its lifetime.

Mine do!

S

I'm obviously more cack-handed than you are Phil! :) But yes, I think all my router bar my Fessies have had more than one collet. My fantastic Elus (96e and 177) got nicked, but I think I was on my 3rd 96 and second 177. I also lost my DW 625 but was given a Trend T11, which still has the collet that it came with. But then I never change the cutte in that, it is in my RT and has an Xtreme Xtension in it permanently.
OTOH the XX collet has been replaced before now...
:)

I bought an extra collet nut for a fiver so both my collets are clipped in permenantly as I kept forgetting when changing collets resulting in much bad language and gnashing of teeth.

Back