Katsu trimmer issue - Bit slipping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone pointed out vibration as to being a factor
Moving against the rotation of the bit. It causes more vibration and high loads on the bit. A but of grease or dirt in the collet along with climb cutting can pull the bit out. As I've just realized you are cutting a rebate, so yes, half your cut is climb cutting. Not the routers fault im afraid.
I'd like to agree it's more that likely down to vibration, and would point in the direction of the main shaft being out of kilter and unbalanced, or maybe its those shaft bearings that are now wearing out. OP hasn't stated the width of the cut, but i would say even 3mx12.7mm is not going to cause such a vibration as to have the cutter move in the collet. Unless of course the threads on the shaft and nut are worn and there's just no room to tighten it any further, or the OP is not tightening it properly but if thase factors arent a factor, then vibration is likely from the machine. And there's a reason it's only forty quid.

I took the bit out of the collet last night, there were definitely wear marks on it with some burrs as well as scratches.

I took apart the collet and cleaned it properly with a rag, inside and out.

This morning I tried with a chamfer bit on a scrap piece and it worked okay.

Just to rule out operator error, I used the same rebate but, but this time tightened it ever so slightly more and routed a same depth rebate and the problem didn't come back.

Maybe it wasn't tightened down enough as some sort of debris was stopping it from tightening down fully, or maybe pure operator error.

But I will look into a better quality collet for the future.
I have a Katsu electric grinder, and Desoutter air grinders. I have noticed that on the air grinders you only have to do little more than nip them up and they are as solid as a rock. The Katsu needs to be done up much tighter to avoid the tool creeping. Damn good piece of kit though, especially at the price.

Back