Cheap Chinese plug cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot stuff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Does anyone have any experience of these cheap sets of cutters on eBay? I need to cut a couple of plugs for a job I'm doing and although I can't grudge the couple of quid as an experiment I'd rather not wait a few weeks to find out they're rubbish, might as well just buy a decent set now.
Thanks in advance.

I have ones from aldi (or lidl) they appear to work fine.
Not had to do it,(not used much) but would assume sharpening them would be easy

Screwfix do some under their Erbauer name, I bought one the other day, seems pretty good and if its faulty they will take it back no probs.

att

I'll head through shortly and have a look. Don't need much persuasion really to go looking for tools.

Thanks all.

I have a small set of those chinese plug cutters ( from ebay).
only 2 or 3 from a set of 8 or 10 was even usable.

Total waste of money mostly for the rest+ the stuff didn't exactly fitted the standard holes very well, had to push them really really really hard to get them inside.
Just buy a set where they have only these, and for the £2-£3 they cost they will be good.
Nothing stunning but they will do the job, I'm still on my cutters 3years ago and use them once in a while.
Not really sharp, but does the job, if you just need them once in a blue moon there's no point spending more on them.
These are good:
s-l1600.jpg

but Do NOT buy this type, they are utter useless garbage which doesn't even works!
s-l500.jpg

For cutting the ends off once they are inside I use really sharp stanley knifes.

That's the info I was looking for, thank you. It's not a lot of money, you're right, it's the waste of time waiting for them to arrive only to find they're rubbish.
I'm only re-modelling a couple of beds for a letting property, making nice, contemporary looking ones out of old pine 70s stuff. Filling old barrel fixing holes and using sturdier Hafele brackets.
I'll try Lidl tomorrow first but if that's a no go then at least I know what type to order from our Oriental chums.

Many thanks, that's much appreciated.

I believe for few pence more you can order them directly from UK chinese sellers(ebay).
you know they have built HUGE warehouses in UK now where they stock the same chinese stuff but it gets sent straight from UK instead of china so arrives in 2-3days not 2-3weeks!
really good strategy from their part as no longer you have to wait weeks for stuff to arrive.

MrDavidRoberts":u4jfeykt said:
but Do NOT buy this type, they are utter useless garbage which doesn't even works!
s-l500.jpg

My experience of this type has been different. I bought a cheap set years ago and they've always worked well when needed.

I guess it depends on the quality and hardness of the steel used but how you can tell until you try them I really don't know. I suppose it is best to get them from somewhere that has a good return policy.

Misterfish

+1 Misterfish.

I have the Veritas ones in this style of plug cutter and they are superb, even when used in a cordless drill.

It is not the style that's rubbish but the quality of steel and manufacture. I did buy a cheapo set last week whilst skipping through the Lidl aisle of dreams and they are not bad at all.....plus a 3 year warranty.

Unlike the Veritas set they must be used in a column drill but, for a couple of quid for occasional use, they are very good.

My dad bought me a set for Christmas (presumably from Lidls). I opened the box and some of the cutters had chips ect.

MrDavidRoberts":2dp3ggfz said:

Total waste of money mostly for the rest+ the stuff didn't exactly fitted the standard holes very well, had to push them really really really hard to get them inside.
Just buy a set where they have only these, and for the £2-£3 they cost they will be good.
Nothing stunning but they will do the job, I'm still on my cutters 3years ago and use them once in a while.
Not really sharp, but does the job, if you just need them once in a blue moon there's no point spending more on them.
These are good:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

For cutting the ends off once they are inside I use really sharp stanley knifes.

Don't know if I have been using them incorrectly, but isn't one for making the hole and the other type for making the plug?

Mike

MikeJhn":3ix3303t said:
MrDavidRoberts":3ix3303t said:

These are good:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Don't know if I have been using them incorrectly, but isn't one for making the hole and the other type for making the plug?

Mike

nop... but the other one is really only good for doing that-making some rough holes, because it destroys the plug inside.

I bought a couple of old Stanley cutters from a chap on eBay the other day but in the normal sequence of events they remain un-used at the moment. They seem to be a mix of both types as far as design is concerned but as soon as I've tried them I'll report back.
Thanks for everyone's input so far, it's much appreciated.

Using the two different types as I said above they seem to work perfectly, sharp sided holes and plugs, that fit together well.

Mike

Back