Sweet Read

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G S Haydon

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had my recent ebay purchase arrive. In brief

Ok let's keep this basic, do you want to

Learn how to arrange a workshop

Choose from four or more bench designs

Have a plethora of vice and work holding options

How to use all the hand tools you could ever want and how to take care of them and keep them sharp

How to form any woodworking joint you could ever need

Information on traditional fixings and adhesives and how to use them

Apply molding my hand, straight or curved

Starter projects to hone your skills on like a book stool, ironing boards or mail boxes and so many more

Packing Cases

Drawing and Notice Boards

Simple tables

Domestic Woodware

Dog Kennels, Bee Hives, Rabbit Hutches

Ladders and steps

Sheds and outdoor erections

Wheelbarrows

Boxes for special purposes?

Tool Chests 3 ways

Oh, another section on workbenches

Garden carpentry, including seats, swings, chair swings etc

Trellises Porches and Arches

Summerhouses

Poultry Houses, incubators and chicken rearers

Doors and windows

Fixing things to walls

Bevelled work and curved work

Nearly any type of clamping method you can think of

Book shelves and cases in some many flavors

Hall Furniture, Dressers and Sideboards

Occasional Tables, Elizabethan style and on

Chairs

Footstools

Upholstered furniture

Overmantels and Mirrors

Clock Cases

Hanging Cupboards and Cabinets

Gramophone Cabinets (we all need one of those), Music Stools

Screens

Writing Furniture, too many options.........

Bedroom Suites, Wardrobes, Cots

Stretchers, Presses

Aquaria

Billiard Tables

Roll top desk and office furniture

Aeroplane Woodwork. Yes, tips on building an aeroplane, wing cross sections, shape of the prop....

Wood turning

Veneering

Woodcarving

Fretcutting & Pyrography

Ironmongery Choices

Finishing, painting & enamelling

Upholstery

Toys

Machine Woodworking

Technical Drawing,

And that's a quick overview! Every section is well put together with a heap of photos and drawings to guide you.

Buy "The Practical Woodworker" by Bernard E Jones. Learn how to do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-qBUWOYfE and apply what you have learned. Now go forth and create :lol:

Nice one. It does cover subjects you won't find anywhere else!

Thanks Guys. I really like the tools chest section so far. Amazing that nearly ever detail of the "Woodworkers Tool Chest" is almost exactly the same as the Schwarz version (no accusation or dig intended there, just could not help but notice). I think he must have a copy :)

I too have a copy. I particularly enjoy the chapter on aeroplane construction, although I've yet to put that to any practical use. I recently made a patternmaker's chest based on the drawings in the toolbox section.

Pete

A bit more info for anyone feeling tempted...

As far as I can see, Bernard Jones was an editor of "Work" a weekly publication aimed mostly at amateurs published in the late C19th and running on into the C20th. (It's being digitised by Tools for Working Wood following the original weekly schedule.) He also put his name to a string of publications on popular subjects such as woodwork, metalwork, wireless, clock making, photography and freemasonry. He would not have been the author of every word in his books, which may be why the level of detail is a bit inconsistent.

The Practical Woodworker seems to have been offered in monthly parts, so may turn up in various bindings. The commonest is a four volume set by Cassells in the 1920s or a very similar set (not dated) from the Waverley Book Company. I paid £24 for my set a few years ago. There is also a two volume edition which has the same amount of content (ie about 1600 pages.)

As far as I can see from a quick look on Worldcat, The Complete Woodworker was (confusingly) a slightly earlier publication (1917) in just one volume.

As with so many other woodworking books, the same content can turn up in slightly different editions over the years.

The Ten Speed Press in California reprinted both titles as paperbacks in the 1980s and these are pretty common secondhand from the usual sources. However, I'm fairly sure that their edition of the Practical Woodworker was a one volume abridgement which missed out such stuff as the section on making an aeroplane. (Booh! Hiss!)

I may well be wrong on some of this; I hope I don't get as confused as some ebay sellers who hope to offload odd single volumes of a four part set without being clear about what they are offering.

Whatever version you find will be illuminating; I for one like to read and understand how a wide range of woodwork was done, even if I'm never going to make a violin or a medieval cathedral!

" missed out such stuff as the section on making an aeroplane. (Booh! Hiss!)" :lol:

Bale, tool chest is really nice, top job!

Scouse, no surprise he's got one, I don't think there is a book on the topic he has not got. And FWIW I'm not having a pop at him for having a very similar version. As far as I'm concerned everything in the world of traditional woodworking has been done before. We are lucky to have people like the Schwarz promoting old knowledge.

I think one of the reasons I like the book it is not aimed at a pro so to speak. Really want to make a wheelbarrow. My granddad, a wheelwright, used to have a wheel barrow he made for himself.

AndyT":3dqfkbf0 said:
As far as I can see from a quick look on Worldcat, The Complete Woodworker was (confusingly) a slightly earlier publication (1917) in just one volume.
That's the one I've got: First published September 1917 Mine is a forth edition Reprinted November 1923.

I'm particularly intrigued by Chapter XXV - Aeroplane Woodwork

This chapter is concerned with the adaption of ordinary woodworking to the requirements of aviation. Vast numbers of woodworkers have passed into aeroplane factories, ( #-o so that's where they've all gone...) enormous interest in aeroplane work is likely to be taken in the future, and all craftsmen will probably wish to be given an insight into the methods and processes employed.

Naturally, machine work is utilised to the greatest possible extent, but the tools required include the ordinary trying, jack, and smoothing planes, chisels and gouges, tenon saw and dovetail saw. As most of the work has to be finished to a limit of 1/64in., or even very much less, an engineers's 12-in. steel rule is necessary. A rule marked with English measures on one side and metric on the other is the handiest. The hand-drill, with a chuck to take round-shank morse drills, is in constant use in some branches of the work. A set of spokeshaves, screwdrivers, and the usual oddments of a woodworker's kit almost complete the set, but, of course, different branches of work require different tools."

Let me see.
try, jack & smooth planes - check;
chisels & gouges - check;
tenon saw & dovetail saw - check;
engineer's steel rule (Imp. & metric) - check;
hand-drill - check;
spokeshaves - check;
screwdivers - check
Hmm, I wonder if I should send my CV to Boeing or Airbus?

Cheers, Vann (hammer)

Vann":1dgcgr1s said:
I'm particularly intrigued by Chapter XXV - Aeroplane Woodwork

This chapter is concerned with the adaption of ordinary woodworking to the requirements of aviation. Vast numbers of woodworkers have passed into aeroplane factories, ( #-o so that's where they've all gone...) enormous interest in aeroplane work is likely to be taken in the future, and all craftsmen will probably wish to be given an insight into the methods and processes employed.

Naturally, machine work is utilised to the greatest possible extent, but the tools required include the ordinary trying, jack, and smoothing planes, chisels and gouges, tenon saw and dovetail saw. As most of the work has to be finished to a limit of 1/64in., or even very much less, an engineers's 12-in. steel rule is necessary. A rule marked with English measures on one side and metric on the other is the handiest. The hand-drill, with a chuck to take round-shank morse drills, is in constant use in some branches of the work. A set of spokeshaves, screwdrivers, and the usual oddments of a woodworker's kit almost complete the set, but, of course, different branches of work require different tools."

Let me see.
try, jack & smooth planes - check;
chisels & gouges - check;
tenon saw & dovetail saw - check;
engineer's steel rule (Imp. & metric) - check;
hand-drill - check;
spokeshaves - check;
screwdivers - check
Hmm, I wonder if I should send my CV to Boeing or Airbus?

Cheers, Vann (hammer)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That made me laugh!!

And you already have a suitable tag line in your signature...

Seriously though, it's a vivid reminder of the can-do attitude that early aviators must have had. I for one admit to having walked round the Flight gallery at the Science Museum feeling humbled and a bit scared at what they had the guts to do, only a century or so ago.

People had loads more guts then we have today. We are safety pampered, even our kids are not allowed to climb in a tree anymore.

I'd love to have a peek in that book. Hmm, must watch ebay for a bit.

I find Bookfinder.com more use than ebay for this sort of thing - it sorts most of the on-line used book offerings into one place. Don't be too specific in your search terms though - sellers sometimes list their books under slightly different titles or introduce errors.

Hi Chaps

I have the 4 book version, can't remember what its called I will check tonight.

There are some cracking stuff to make.

Pete

O/K I have The Piratical Woodworker, 4 volumes and The Complete Woodworker a single volume.
The Practical Handyman by James E. Wheeler has a woodworking section as well as The Handy Man and Home Mechanic both Odhams Press Limited.
They have sections on gas fitting as well :shock:

Pete

The Piratical Woodworker eh?

Does it explain how to walk the plank?!
;-)

AndyT":2e3ix8c4 said:
The Piratical Woodworker eh?

Does it explain how to walk the plank?!
;-)

LOL +1 *high five* you walked right into (and off the end) of that one!

maybe it shows how to select the right timber for longtime sea exposure, knot free of course, with grain in the right direction, plus how to ensure any splits are filled with a dutchman, before the frenchman walks it :)

maybe another section on how to modify that hook into a gouge to turn the perfect wooden leg with carving tips on achieving a classy ball and claw foot for the dapper Pirate.

Latest posts

Back