Sweet Read

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So why do pirates have buccaneers?

It's to keep their buccan hats from falling down over their buccan eyes.

But I digress... :roll:

Cheers, Vann.

AndyT":3lzxfn5w said:
As far as I can see, Bernard Jones was an editor of "Work" a weekly publication aimed mostly at amateurs published in the late C19th and running on into the C20th.
He would not have been the author of every word in his books, which may be why the level of detail is a bit inconsistent.
In the Editors Preface he says...

"This book cannot be said to be "by" any author or authors in particular. To a large extent it has been compiled and re-written by myself from the contributions of a number of technical and practical men whose articles are well known to readers of "Work," with, in addition, a number of chapters written especially for it."

Cheers, Vann.

Hi guys, my grandfather was pattern maker, I have his tool chest he made as an apprentice piece, with most of his old tools in, he worked in the aviation industry, he made formers for the castings for propellers at one stage, my Dad used to tell me with pride they worked to thousandths of an inch....!

Sadly we don't seem to have that kind of system of training and learning now.....

Racers":utb65q61 said:
O/K I have The Piratical Woodworker, 4 volumes and The Complete Woodworker a single volume.
The Practical Handyman by James E. Wheeler has a woodworking section as well as The Handy Man and Home Mechanic both Odhams Press Limited.
They have sections on gas fitting as well :shock:

Pete

I love old (pre WWII) handyman books. They're always full of terrible (and ugly) decorating ideas, lots of stuff on wireless, and rather a lot on photography.

I have "some" of these books.

BugBear

bugbear":3r01cjqb said:
I love old (pre WWII) handyman books. They're always full of terrible (and ugly) decorating ideas, lots of stuff on wireless, and rather a lot on photography.

BugBear

Yeah and the British Library has a few too. I have only one currently Chas. Hayward's "Teach Yourself Carpentry".
One of the plans in the back I must get around to is for a "Timber Framed Asbestos-Cement Garage".
Struggling to find a supplier for the Asbestos sheets though. :|

bugbear":1ji73nue said:

BugBear

Me too!

One of my favourites is "The Home Workshop" from Odhams in the 1940s. Thanks to a post from Jimi, I have swapped my old copy for the wartime edition which showed the keen diy-er how to prepare the home for gas attacks - more detail and pictures in this old thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post507078.html

riclepp, sadly the plane section is the only one without a finished project outcome. I had hoped to see "Build a Sopwith Camel" or "Build an SE5A" sadly it only covers how to make the various parts. Still interesting though.

joethedrummer":15acs0d2 said:
Could be delivered by plane !! Sorry but i couldn"t resist it,,,

It may be hot ... but it's time for someone to get his coat!

I have a four-volume edition, 'specially prepared for Subscribers' of 'The Amateur Mechanic - a practical guide for the Handyman', edited by the same Bernard E. Jones, Editor of 'Work'. It's fascinating - a solid, step-by step woodworking course, but other gems like 'How to make a pair of riveted boots', 'A simple box kite', Stopping burst soil pipes', 'Overhauling a motorcycle', and 'Various hammers and their uses'. It looks like a compilation of articles from 'Work', and lists over twenty 'Chief contributors', with names like 'Abra', 'Coracle', 'G', and the wonderful Fred Dyb, who was clearly a plumber.

Highly recommended text.

harryd":2hk00r5w said:
I have a four-volume edition, 'specially prepared for Subscribers' of 'The Amateur Mechanic - a practical guide for the Handyman', edited by the same Bernard E. Jones, Editor of 'Work'. It's fascinating - a solid, step-by step woodworking course, but other gems like 'How to make a pair of riveted boots', 'A simple box kite', Stopping burst soil pipes', 'Overhauling a motorcycle', and 'Various hammers and their uses'. It looks like a compilation of articles from 'Work', and lists over twenty 'Chief contributors', with names like 'Abra', 'Coracle', 'G', and the wonderful Fred Dyb, who was clearly a plumber.

Highly recommended text.

I like the sound of that!

So much so that I have just ordered a set!

Thanks for the tip.

Back