Sorry folks.. shameless Youtube channel plug ..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottdimelow

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry folks after some confusion I'm re-posting as I've had my account name changed :oops:

I've recently started a Youtube channel, covering a knock-off Festool Domino made from aluminium, and I'm currently doing a series about my monster homemade table saw. I'll be covering more woodworking projects soon, I'll also be covering a camper conversion.

Let's not let the Americans have all the youtube views, if you like what you see please consider subscribing :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmDIhj ... ywoQmb2Qfw

Using a drill and a grinder simultaneously with both hands holding each tool loose as a makeshift lathe? Really? How many fingers have you got (today)? If you are going to be reckless, play to that in your content but don't make it look like day-to-day woodworking in case someone thinks it is day-to-day woodworking. I know the anti-safety PC police will come speeding round the corner any second but hey.

You have clearly put effort in and I know its easy to be a keyboard warrior tearing down that effort. I wanted to be positive but this made me wince and click away straight away.

Really?? Never thought twice about it to be honest, and never had an issue. It comes down to what you feel comfortable with I suppose.

Scottdimelow":2xv4zocc said:
Really?? Never thought twice about it to be honest, and never had an issue. It comes down to what you feel comfortable with I suppose.

If you never thought twice about that I dread to think how your table saw journey will turn out.

Woodworking is dangerous especially if you bring a free hand angle grinder into the mix and even more so if using it on another freehand rotating tool. That's common sense. I suppose my point is that this may not translate well for people viewing your content to learn anything themselves. You're not responsible for your audience's actions but I do think you have some responsibility about what put up under the guise of a maker channel. As I mentioned before I don't want to be negative but this is a red flag for me. That said I'm not your audience.

I just re-watched the video in question, nothing about it is dangerous in my opinion. I can hold a grinder perfectly well with one hand, and it's only sanding the edge off, the wooden part is already round. It's certainly no more dangerous than using a table saw or router table anyway. I think you're overreacting to a very small part of what will hopefully be an interesting channel with quite varied projects.

I think Shed9 was overreacting a little bit. There was a good grip on the grinder, his body was nowhere near it to get his clothes caught up in the grinder, his opposing hand was on the drill (braced against the workmate too) so there was no chance of catching the grinder on that, even if he dropped the grinder it wouldn't land on his feet.

If you look at the extreme end of risk possibilities you'll come up will all sorts of stuff and it'll put you off workworking for life. For example, the lathe would be the normal way to do it but in extreme circumstances, the piece could fly off the lathe and knock your head off :lol:. You should spend the day with me, you'd have a heart attack!

Subscribed, we'll see what you come up with.

I do things which I wouldn't want anyone else to copy.......so I don't post photos of it. Wooden scaffolding is one I can recall. I wish you luck with your channel, Scott, but I also hope you think carefully about who will be watching, and what variation of what you do that they may be tempted to try. There are some evil carving heads available for mini angle grinders, for instance,and if someone tried your trick with one of those it could literally ruin their life. You should take care to use tools only as intended when posting content on the internet. In your own time, without the camera running, do whatever you choose.

ETA..........

And then I watched "Torsion Box Table Saw Part 2". That is ridiculously dangerous. The whole idea of the saw, without a riving knife, is dangerous, but the last few seconds are amonsgt the worst examples of bad practise I've seen on Youtube. I hope you learn lessons from the reaction you're getting here.

^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

I was okay until TB Table Saw Pt 2 came up, but that's well out of order!

You've obviously got skills and talent. I don't think it'd be too challenging for you to make a riving knife with crown guard and several decent push sticks !

It's proper cringe watching you use the saw. If/when it goes wrong you're not gonna have time to react, and days after you'll still be wondering exactly what caused it to so wrong cause you've used it for hours and hours before without issue.

3150350704aae860ed7fc49aad8fec11.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

No guard, no riving knife, leaning over the blade while it is still running. And that was watching just the first few minutes of Part Deux.
This is the worst of bad practices and you should not be publicising this way of working. Others may copy you. It is only a matter of time before they, or you, get seriously hurt.

I do admit I don't use a riving knife that often, I have installed a splitter on the new saw. The torsion box saw was a temporary thing to build the bigger one. It has a very thin kerf blade in it too.

I see what you're saying, maybe I should put in a disclaimer!

I posted earlier but it seems it didn’t go through so I’ll try again.

I won’t be watching UK videos just like I won’t waste my time with USA ones. Sketchy practices. Repetitive shots where one or two is enough like the cutting and gluing. Bad lighting and sound. No clear drawings of what the end product will be at the beginning of the series so I can decide if I want to watch. I looked at 4 of the videos but jumped ahead to see different sections to get a fair idea of what you were doing.

I don’t mean to be overly critical or harsh but I wanted you to understand why someone that has been in the hobby for decades doesn’t want to watch. I wouldn’t recommed your videos to a newby either because of some of your practices.

Pete

That's fair enough Pete, it's quite costly to get started, as you mention the lighting needs improvement. I'm hopefully getting some new LED panels soon. And as of tomorrow I'll be using my DSLR camera to shoot.

I've seen people doing it "properly" too, with blade guard and riving knife and still get hurt. Bloke on this forum actually.

It's all calculated risks, you have to twist the work piece quite badly for kickback and I've never so much as been close.

As I've already said, the new saw has a splitter but I guess people just like to repeat each other.

Back