Sore Hoarses MkII - Now with added plans!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aiden
I said earlier that my trestles had almost given up the ghost. Well I dropped a sheet of MDF onto them the other day and now one of them is V-shaped. So I have to do something about that rather sooner than I intended. Can you tell me what grade plywood you used and how weather-resistant it is? Mine is likely to sit permanently outside.

I have an idea for an addition to it. I damaged mine by lifting and dropping a very heavy 8x4 of 18mm MRMDF. It would have been better if I could have rotated it gently from vertical to horizontal. I propose a swinging cradle between two of the short pieces, with feet near the bottom and which extend, say 18" above the platform. Drop the long edge of the board onto the feet and swing the lot from V to H then slide the board over into position. Remove the cradle if it is in the way. I have an idea of how to achieve this, I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":7vjfki2f said:
Aiden
I said earlier that my trestles had almost given up the ghost. Well I dropped a sheet of MDF onto them the other day and now one of them is V-shaped. So I have to do something about that rather sooner than I intended. Can you tell me what grade plywood you used and how weather-resistant it is? Mine is likely to sit permanently outside.

I have an idea for an addition to it. I damaged mine by lifting and dropping a very heavy 8x4 of 18mm MRMDF. It would have been better if I could have rotated it gently from vertical to horizontal. I propose a swinging cradle between two of the short pieces, with feet near the bottom and which extend, say 18" above the platform. Drop the long edge of the board onto the feet and swing the lot from V to H then slide the board over into position. Remove the cradle if it is in the way. I have an idea of how to achieve this, I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers
Steve

if you want it to flip then this might be a better idea http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-t ... ing-table/

i made this table a while back but not really tested it out properly it just stays in my workshop not been out on site. I needed a flip up type cutting bench for the shop as the ceiling is low and theres isnt loads of space either, but out on site lifting 8 x 4's is no problem for me , well that is when I get my other arm back :( :lol:

That's a nice solution Chris. I've got one of those Triton stands; think I might buy myself another off e-bay. They're about £40.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":1gyun17x said:
That's a nice solution Chris. I've got one of those Triton stands; think I might buy myself another off e-bay. They're about £40.

Cheers

Karl

I never got around to finishing my table as it went into use straight away :lol: it just needs a couple of swivel arms on one side so you can rest the sheets on them when the table is upright then they will fold out the way once its flat.

Well I've been and gone and done it:

1fd1ld.jpg

Took me more than "a couple of hours" though. A good half day.

I think I'm quite pleased with it, but if I did it again I would alter a couple of things.

I didn't realise, when I started, that the working height of this is a bit under 600mm. That is quite a lot lower than the setup it's replacing. For some things it might actually be better, but I use it for a lot more than just sawing, so it's a bit back-breaking. It is easier to get panels onto, though.

It's also a bit too big for where I use it. It's wider than my old one, and that part of the patio is not very big. I wish I'd kept it to 3' instead of 4'. Also I don't need 3 long rails. If I'd had just two, my leg panels could have been taller.

But generally, yes, very pleased. And if anyone local wants this one (for the price of the board) you can have it and I'll make myself another as described above!

Tiddles for Prime Minister, I say!

S

oops, sorry Steve missed your post earlier this week.

The 2' working height is a total compromise to get it all out of one sheet, however for cutting sheets with the baby Mafell and assembly work I find it about right, surprisingly sturdy isn't it?!

Aidan

First off, sorry for the crappy picture.

Inspired by TheTiddles design. I thought I would share my take on it.

This all slots together in a similar way, but it sits on my standard workshop tressels. At full size its 2100x1220. Without the extensions its 1220x1220 and can be re-arranged to 1220x800 and with the extra bits (not shown) 1220 x 600 and 800 x 600

Its 12mm ply 115 tall, simply because that was the size I had spare as an off cut.

My idea was to have something not only for use in the workshop with my TS55, but on-site so it will break down to a nice small package and can be re-arranged to fit in tight workspaces.

Shultzy":1oy8rvrj said:
I have a revised sketchup plan of the sawhorse and cutting plan if required.

Schultzy, I am about to start on one of these and would love to see your plans

Unfortunately I am too new to use the PM facility so I'm hoping that you can get to me via my profile.

Cheers,

Off to make another batch of sawdust.

turnamere":2ypzefc0 said:
Shultzy":2ypzefc0 said:
turnamere, I've sent you a pm. I think you need to make three posts to use your pm facility.

OK, heres number two then, one more to go.

E-mail details sent.

ooooooh, #3, I may be allowed to PM shortly.

I've also stumbled accross this one: I can't yet post links but if you google 'ultimate work bench' the result looks pretty good.

Although it requires about four sheets (not ordered plans just eyeballed the build) to Tiddles one, but it looks like a great long term solution to my ongoing garage/workshop space battle!

Just running an ammended version in sketchup to fit in my existing space.

Shim do a search on you tube the guy who sells the plans for it is a member on the festool owners group

Back