Shop counter WIP photos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided easier to start a new thread for the shop counter (see previous thread if you're interested.)

Can't work out how to build this for assembly in my shop so going to have to shift the thing assembled! 1.4m wide x 900mm high (800mm till) x 600mm deep.

I blame Tom and Simon for the birthday present (and what seemed like a good'ish deal) to myself :oops:.

A question on the Domino - the 5x30 dominoes are extremly tight in the MDF - particuarly the face. Is that normal. I have to used a vice grip to remove them which makes a dry fit very tricky? Are there any tips?

Also any tips on carcass assembly with the Domino - you can see I'm all ready to go - I have some spacers for the shelves (I should make the shelves adjustable but haven't planned ahead and not sure how to do it easily). I may add a drawer at a later stage. The front panel will be rebated in with solid Walnut trim as before.

Again details on Flickr:

Cheers

Gidon

The dominos should be a nice tight fit.
You can make the shelves adjustable by fitting a row of dominos, stained to the appropriate colour, like shelf pips but nicer.
Looking good so far.

Simon

Sand down some dominos slightly for test fitting use - mark them with a splodge of black marker on the ends so you don't use them by accident. I do this for dowels (being too mean to have a Domino).

Boz

Tight fit is fine - but I'm crushing them trying to removed them!

Thanks for suggestions - not keen to use the house microwave - not sure it'd be too popular! Might try Boz's method - good idea keeping some for dry fit. Was also looking on FOG and it appears it's a common problem. Someone suggested some plastic Domines for dry fit which would be a great idea.

Did think of using the Dominoes for shelves - saw a nice little vid here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zky_hZc4c_E
But a little worried about the extra time needed ...

Cheers

Gidon

Or there's this option

kitchen-6.jpg

kitchen-7.jpg

http://stusshed.wordpress.com/2009/11/1 ... hen-build/

I'm going to use just the Dominoes and rest the shelves - if I get time I'll make some brackets as in above video. Quite nice idea on locking the shelves but not sure I need it since I'm the only one behind the counter and I'll make sure I don't go pulling the shelves out!

Felt very nervous doing this! Now if I had the OF1400 ...

Turned out making that jig in the video took no time and worked a treat!

Right back to it ...

Cheers

Gidon

The most stressful glue-up I've ever done - and the wonderful Domino has proved to be a pain in the back-side! The Dominoes are just too tight a fit. PLUS - it turns out the clamping mechanism is not so great on the fence height and two joints didn't align in the dry-fit since the fence had slipped!! I'd read not to over-tighten the fence (FWW) - it turns out this is rubbish advice - I now tighten to 5 o'clock.

Did make the cutting of the joinery fun and quick though ;)! And I know this wasn't the most straightforward first proper use of the tool!

I think if I did this again I'd prolly use some pocket screws with the Dominos to tighten things up and save on clamps!

I just hope the glue doesn't fail since it took me ages to get it all pulled together and clamped out - I'm sure those with greater experience would have come up with a better glue-up strategy!

Cheers

Gidon

You're obviously not getting on with that Domino. My address is.... :lol:

Gidon
To make a row of adjustable holes post-glue-up, try the following.

Take a piece of 18mm MDF as long as the inside height of your cabinet. and, say 80mm wide. Mark one end as Datum.

On the drill-press, drill a row of holes.

Clamp this guide into the carcase and drill with a pistol drill, using a stop or masking-tape flag to ensure that you don't drill right through.

Do this in all 4 corners keeping the datum on the cabinet floor.

All the holes will align, even if your original drilling wasn't perfect.

Cheers
Steve

Good tip thanks Steve. I did Domino in slots for adjustable shelves in the end but might use your suggestion another time.

Front glued on - used Dominoes for alignment:

Wizer - I've gone Festool nuts - ordered a CT Midi vacuum cleaner today! Might sell it all when done so keep a look out!

Cheers

Gidon

Some more progress this week - got nothing done over the weekend - had people to stay ...

Sanding this sort of project is a real headache - so easy to go through the thin veneer trying to get rid of glue spots that I haven't been able to scrape away.

Details on Flickr:

I need to finish sanding then spray some Chestnut Melamine Lacquer after advice in the finishing forum. May go and take my heater up to avoid any problems!

Cheers

Gidon

What glue are you using? I find with TBII, if you leave it 10-20mins you can come back with a paint scraper and chip off any squeeze out easily.

how long are you leaving it before you scrape it off?

You can clean up a certain amount before unclamping but not much I find. And I leave the clamps on as long as I can! I find a wet rag is best for getting rid of glue I can get too. But will trying popping it out thanks.
Cheers
Gidon

Yippee - pretty much finished - got it to the shop today - that was fun!
Just need to attach the plinth to the counter itself - will post of pic of it when done.

The spraying went well - the Earlex is so easy to use. I got a coat of Chestnut Cellulose Sanding sealer on Thursday evening. And followed with 1 coat of Melamine lacquer on the inside and three coats on the outside. I will rub out with grey wool and wax in the shop in a few days. Had a nightmare - I ran out of Melamine Lacquer midway through and had to drive over 2 hr return trip to mid-Cornwall to get some more. The chap at Mid Cornwall Saw Service (unlikely Chestnut stockist) handed me his last 2 cans of Mel Lac - looked very old! I asked if they were in date and ok - he answered - "they should be"!! ALWAYS order more than you need - so annoying being caught short. Should add that Terry from Chestnut has been very helpful - I've pestered him several times and he's always been happy to offer advice and tips on using their products which have proved very handy!!

After first coat of lacquer:

Wrapped up and ready to take to the shop which I did this afternoon with a very kind friend helping me!

Cheers

Gidon

Well done Gidon. Good luck and keep us up to date with everything. I might ave asked this before, but are you building a website for the store?

That does look very smart. :)

...I was a bit concerned with the finish before I realised you had wrapped it up!! :roll: :oops:

I think I read somewhere recently that only 30% of what comes out your spray gun ends up on the job! :shock: So, yes, it definitely plans to buy more than you need. If you're planning to spray several jobs then it's also much cheaper to buy in bulk.

Back