RogerBoyle Box WIP completed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerBoyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is my WIP on the box for the competition
But I must confess to never having done a small box before and it is also my first WIP on a forum.
What I did do though is take this opportunity to use techniques that I had always fancied trying but had never got around to doing
Make my own inlay, Hinges, Handle, Dovetail splines and line the box

So on with the build
For my box I decided to use only what I had got lying around
And that included the hardware as you will see further on in the thread
So the first thing to decide on was the wood
I have a small stock pile of off cuts and decorative woods and had a bit of a rummage but couldn’t make my mind up what timber to use in the end I shut my eyes and grabbed two pieces of timber.
Oak and Meranti LOL even then I still wasn’t happy so decided to add some Mahogany

Attachments

• The timber for the box.jpg
    The timber for the box.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,051
First job was to run the timber through the planer and clean up the face and edge then on to the bandsaw to cut them down to 15mm. after this they were put through the Planner/Thicknesser and brought down to 11mm as it looked about right to me.

Next up was cutting them to rough length and mitring the edges on all 4 of the sides these would later be fine-tuned at the disc sander to ensure they fit perfectly

Next on the list was to rebate the top and bottom for a lid and a base. The lid would be book matched oak and the base was 6mm ply Unfortunately I didn’t have any 3mm ply This I did with a quick pass through the spindle moulder rather than the router as it already had the block in it LOL.

After this it was a simple case of adding masking tape to back of the sides adding glue and then checking the diagonals for square.
In the photos you will see that I never used any clamps there really was no need as the masking tape was more than strong enough to hold things in place.
As this was drying I got to work on the top by partially edge jointing the two boards of oak after an hour in the clamps I started to sand it. I started with 240 and took it up to 600 then left it for another hour before taking it out of the clamps and cutting it to size. The two off cuts will later be used to make the two top trays.

Attachments

• and the top panel cut from the boards.jpg
    and the top panel cut from the boards.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,043
  • Rough Sanding the top while still in clamps.jpg
    Rough Sanding the top while still in clamps.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,043
  • Two boards glued together to make the top.jpg
    Two boards glued together to make the top.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2,043
  • By stretching the masking tape it pulls the edge tight.jpg
    By stretching the masking tape it pulls the edge tight.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 2,043
  • Box glued up and only masking tape is needed for clamps.jpg
    Box glued up and only masking tape is needed for clamps.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,043
The top was then fitted and the box was put to one side as I made myself a jig for the splines
I got the dimensions etc. From one of my books but TBH it isn’t really rocket science so I changed them to suit me as I decided to make it a bit bigger so it would handle chests etc. in the future as well.
An hour later and the jig is built and tested notice the use of masking tape as a third hand while I screwed the jig together.
20 minutes later and all 4 corners have been dovetailed for the splines.

Attachments

• Dovetail splines cut.jpg
    Dovetail splines cut.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2,034
  • Check the sides are at 90 degrees to each other.jpg
    Check the sides are at 90 degrees to each other.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2,034
  • Using masking tape as a clamp (again).jpg
    Using masking tape as a clamp (again).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,034
  • Spline jig diagram.jpg
    Spline jig diagram.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 2,034
For the splines I decided to use some of the mahogany so after a quick faff around with the router and testing I soon had a length of mahogany ready for fitting
I simply cut them down on the bandsaw to around ¾ inch long and fitted them place with just a bit of PVA to hold them
This was all left to go off and I concentrated on making a jig for doing the inlay

Attachments

• Starting to fit the splines.jpg
    Starting to fit the splines.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 2,028
  • Making the mahogany dovetail splines.jpg
    Making the mahogany dovetail splines.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 2,026
The inlay that I wanted to try was a simple diamond pattern that I had seen being done on U-Tube
So I first had to make two jigs
This was simply a case of screwing down a scrap straight edge to a piece of MDF or Ply at 22 ½ degrees Trouble was I didn’t know if It mattered which way I did it As it turns out it really doesn’t but to be safe I got back onto U Tube and copied the jig in there.

I found that to cut the Diamonds accurately regardless of the thickness of your wood, you line up a piece of your timber with the waste side of the Kerf cut on the jig and bring your stop block to it then clamp it .this then gives you accurate diamond shapes.

The next jig was to cut an elongated triangle shape to fit on top and under the Diamond pattern. This jig was bit more trial and error but easy enough all I did was got it at 22 ½ degrees and put two screws in it and did a test cut Removed one screw and pivoted the fence slightly put another screw in a different hole and re checked did this one more time and then it was good to go

Attachments

• Almost got it.jpg
    Almost got it.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,006
  • Close but no cigar.jpg
    Close but no cigar.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,006
  • The triangles.jpg
    The triangles.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,006
  • This makes the triangles.jpg
    This makes the triangles.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 2,006
  • The first jig does the diamond pattern.jpg
    The first jig does the diamond pattern.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,006
  • first of two jigs to make some inlay banding.jpg
    first of two jigs to make some inlay banding.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 2,006
After this it was simply a case of attaching a board with a straight edge on my bench I then covered this with a few strips of electrical tape and one of masking tape with the sticky side facing up
And then started to build up the inlay
I hand sanded each piece to fit and after about an hour I had it all dry fitted and ready for gluing
I then cut down several pieces of Mahogany and used two pieces of this for the inlay outer faces
After I glued it up I left it overnight to dry and then I had my first major set back LOL

Attachments

• A closer look at the inlay.jpg
    A closer look at the inlay.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,988
  • The completed inlay before sanding and cutting.jpg
    The completed inlay before sanding and cutting.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,988
  • Almost completed (thank God).jpg
    Almost completed (thank God).jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,988
  • Starting to test build the inlay.jpg
    Starting to test build the inlay.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,988
  • The sanding block for fine tuning the inlay blocks.jpg
    The sanding block for fine tuning the inlay blocks.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,988
I had planned to add some turned pieces to the 4 corners to add a bit of decoration and for legs
I tried to add a bit of decoration by adding a Celtic Knot as I am partial to them so this needed a jig making. Very simple to do but as I wanted a larger knot I added a wedge to the jig to give me a combined angle of around 60 degrees
Got everything cut out and glued up with no problems left them for a day to dry and the first two disintegrated when they were on the lathe LOL
What I should have done was drilled down through the middle and slid and glued in a dowel to add support
So this was abandoned LOL and instead I turned my attention to trimming the Splines back on the corners of the box

Attachments

• Second cut on the Celtic knots and you can see the mahogany shims.jpg
    Second cut on the Celtic knots and you can see the mahogany shims.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,977
  • this wedge is on top of the 48 degree to make a bigger knot.jpg
    this wedge is on top of the 48 degree to make a bigger knot.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,977
  • The jig for the knots.jpg
    The jig for the knots.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,977
  • 4 legs ready for getting a Celtic knot.jpg
    4 legs ready for getting a Celtic knot.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,977
  • Finished cutting out the Shims.jpg
    Finished cutting out the Shims.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,977
  • Mahogany shims for the Celtic knot.jpg
    Mahogany shims for the Celtic knot.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,977
  • Oak for the legs before going through the bandsaw.jpg
    Oak for the legs before going through the bandsaw.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,977
  • Jig on the Bandsaw prior to first use.jpg
    Jig on the Bandsaw prior to first use.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,958
The splines were trimmed with the bandsaw and a coat of sanding sealer added to stop my hands dirtying the box and then finished off with a chisel flush with the sides
Unfortunately I had a close call as I trimmed one side a bit to close but fortunately it sanded out easily enough
I then sanded the box to 600 grit and put two coats of sanding sealer on to protect the box again

Attachments

• OOP'S This was a lucky escape as it wasnt as bad as it looked in the photo.jpg
    OOP'S This was a lucky escape as it wasnt as bad as it looked in the photo.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,968
  • All the splines cut back.jpg
    All the splines cut back.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,968
Next was to clean up and cut the inlay then route out a groove for it
But I'll be buggered if i could decide where to put it or how much to use
So following the KISS principle I decided two strips one on each edge front to back would do after these were glued in place it was on to handles and hinges

Attachments

• Using the rat for the inlay groove.jpg
    Using the rat for the inlay groove.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,961
  • Inlay further away from the edge.jpg
    Inlay further away from the edge.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,961
  • Getting a feel for where to put the inlay.jpg
    Getting a feel for where to put the inlay.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,961
For a handle I had decided that i was going to turn a nice piece of alloy dowel
But after I had completed this and held it against the box I decided it didn’t look right so that was another idea out the window but it was simple and it did look good so I would do it another project
Instead I opted for a Mahogany Handle instead and after the fiasco with the turned legs I also opted for 4 simple squares of mahogany to act as feet

The hinges were very simple to do cut out on the band saw and sanded the simplest thing to do on the box to be honest, they were attached with two small dowels on each leaf from the rear and epoxied into a corresponding hole
This only left the lining and trays but unfortunately work got in the way of completing the top trays but I will finish these off at the weekend as the wood is already prepared But I did however manage to get the bottom dividers fitted but I don't have a clue as to the wood that was used

Attachments

• The bits for the two top trays.jpg
    The bits for the two top trays.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Bottom divider fitted.jpg
    Bottom divider fitted.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,940
  • The finished handle.jpg
    The finished handle.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Turning the ally on my wood lathe.jpg
    Turning the ally on my wood lathe.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,940
  • 12 mm Ally dowel.jpg
    12 mm Ally dowel.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,940
And finally the finished box
It was sanded back and then another coat of sanding sealer added knocked back with wet and dry and then waxed and buffed

I enjoyed this challenge as for me its not something I had done before but It will be something I will do again in the future

Good luck to every one else taking Part .

So Dodge whats the next one LOL

Roger

Attachments

• Size of the box.jpg
    Size of the box.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Finished box.jpg
    Finished box.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Rear of box.jpg
    Rear of box.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Side view of box.jpg
    Side view of box.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Hinges again.jpg
    Hinges again.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Wooden Hinges work LOL.jpg
    Wooden Hinges work LOL.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Top view of the box.jpg
    Top view of the box.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,940
Very nice Roger. :)

I considered making wooden hinges but couldn't decide on a style that would fit in and work on my box.

I know what you mean LOL To be honest I don't think that their something I'd do again
instead I'll go the traditional hardware route

Another awesome box, I really like the inlay, and for me at least, the hinges are great. I'd never of thought of making wooden ones.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Cheers Guys :oops: :oops:

Andy I'm not really a fan of wooden hinges But it was something I had wanted to try since I saw an article in a wood mag back in the mid 90's LOL

Basically I used the comp to force me to actually try out the things that I had kept putting of for so long :mrgreen:

I was quite surprised with how quickly the inlay was made .For some reason I was expecting it to take days to make in the end it took less than 3 hours and that included making the jigs and working out the Angles and I still have a few bits left :twisted: it is one avenue I will explore and refine for the future

Roger

Back