Retractable marking knife (mount cutting knife)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just found this what I think is a retractable marking knife i bought some time ago in a jot lot, then put it away in a box and forgot about it.

Has anyone seen something similar?

Attachments

• side.JPG
    side.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 2,612
  • front end.JPG
    front end.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 2,612
  • parts.JPG
    parts.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 2,611
  • end.JPG
    end.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 2,611
this looks a bit craftsman made but i think norris made a similar knife, beautiful tool,
ive also seen these before on ebay ect,
TT

Norris calls it a mount cutter's knife, presumably as in the mount in picture framing.

I've never sold any tool I've bought so far, this might be the first one, but it's a nice item, I might hang on to it. I need to give a very gentle clean first.

dont blame you, i might try and make one some day. when you clean it up post a pic id bee interested to she how she cleans up. i ersonally wouldn't make the brass shine like new would ruin the tool, renaissance wax is good for this type of cleaning job.

TT

Don't assume a Norris connection. Like so many tools, a mount cutter was a standardised item that could be marked with all sorts of names.

I've got one, unmarked, which I bought because I thought it was a nice design and practical to use as a marking knife. It's not quite the same - more rosewood, less brass. Picture to follow if you want!

I found a picture of it in the Marples catalogues.

AndyT":1ik9eutw said:
Don't assume a Norris connection. Like so many tools, a mount cutter was a standardised item that could be marked with all sorts of names.

I've got one, unmarked, which I bought because I thought it was a nice design and practical to use as a marking knife. It's not quite the same - more rosewood, less brass. Picture to follow if you want!

It's in the common Preston reprint catalogue too.

BugBear

I've cleaned it with a rag and meths and turps, it doesn't look much different but it's nicer to hold in the hand.

AndyT":389sf1kn said:

Good point.

Main hasn't got any markings, but it's exactly like in the Norris catalogue, which is the same as the one metioned up thread.

From looking at:
http://www.norrisplanes.com/london-patt ... e-handles/
and the Marples and Melhuish catalogues, there seem to be two types; one with a wooden handle and brass end(s), and the "London pattern" one in brass and ebony.

First pic is the one linked to up thread, not mine.

Attachments

• melhuish catalogue 25,1925.jpg
    melhuish catalogue 25,1925.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,471
  • Melhuish catalogue 21.jpg
    Melhuish catalogue 21.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,471
  • Marples 1938.jpg
    Marples 1938.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 2,472
  • unmarked knife.jpg
    unmarked knife.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,472
Here are some pictures of mine.

Overall:

20141217_100159_zpsz2kwd0rf.jpg

the clamp:

20141217_100214_zpsibvyo7tp.jpg

the blade, in need of a sharpen:

20141217_100225_zpsyvcwzoun.jpg

Like yours, I think it's an elegant, functional design. Mine is "only" rosewood - interesting to see that ebony was 125% extra. You can just about make out that the billet would have been split, the internal slot routed out of one side, then the parts glued together again and held by the brass end and two little rivets.

AndyT":36o1sf39 said:
Like yours, I think it's an elegant, functional design. Mine is "only" rosewood - interesting to see that ebony was 125% extra. You can just about make out that the billet would have been split, the internal slot routed out of one side, then the parts glued together again and held by the brass end and two little rivets.

Interesting that you have put your blade the other way in so that the screw doesn't get in the way at the business end. The catalogue pics all show the screw at the cutting end, and the tapered end of the "London pattern" handle suggest the same. But of course anyone can use it either way!

I have made knife handles using the two bits of wood glue together with a (stopped) slot inside method. I understand that is the normal method used by instrument makers. The blade is held by friction and is a tight fit but can slide out for sharpening. I have added caps to mine.

My mount cutting knife, and I guess the one linked to as well, is a different construction. It has a flattened brass tube for the blade and the wooden bit is like an infil.

Attachments

• knives.JPG
    knives.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,339
  • knives .JPG
    knives .JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 2,339
Mine was the other way round when I bought it. The other problem with that was that the clamping screw lined up with the long shallow bevel so didn't really work for safely stowing the sharp edge. Much better my way round!

Very nice knives there John!

Hello,

You might find the forces on the wood 'scales' during cutting might split them apart again, though. The brass is designed to prevent this at the cutting end.

Mike.

Back