Random orbital Sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I've trawled through tis section but am stuck 'cos it won't let me do any searches ](*,) just says can't so soon after the last one, even though there hasn't been a last one :?

Need advice:- I have to buy a ROS / 150mm as I have a fair amount of solid worktops to fit. Want something half decent but not stupid money.

Like the look of the AEG EX150E at around £108 and the Metabo SXE450which I can get for around £167

Is the Metabo worth an extra £60 and are there any others I should consider ?

Any comments much appreciated.

cheers

Bob

If your searches had worked you would have found the Metabo is much recommended here.
I've got one and can't really fault it except that I find the orbit diameter change a little awkward - but that could easily be me :)

Thanks for the response guys. Looks like a thumbs up for Metabo.

The "Mistral" worktops I have to fit are my own but looks like I'm going to get another kitchen with the same tops so can't just make do with the tools I've already got.

I intended using the old glued blocks and clamps method to pull the joints together but might need to look at a couple of seaming clamps as well so it's gonna be expensive unless I can find those to hire :?:
thought of making some from "sucker clamps" but not sure it'll work well.
cheers

Bob

Lons

+1 for the metabo. Excellent dust extraction when connected to vac and leaves a superb finish even on really easily marked wood.

Simon

I have the older model Metabo 450 and its great cannot fault it in anyway.

Cannot say anything about the AEG not seen it

PS make sure you get the full kit in the systainer.

Lons":31m6m47t said:
Thanks for the response guys. Looks like a thumbs up for Metabo.

The "Mistral" worktops I have to fit are my own but looks like I'm going to get another kitchen with the same tops so can't just make do with the tools I've already got.

I intended using the old glued blocks and clamps method to pull the joints together but might need to look at a couple of seaming clamps as well so it's gonna be expensive unless I can find those to hire :?:
thought of making some from "sucker clamps" but not sure it'll work well.
cheers

Bob

Why not use those clamps that sit in router'd recesses underneath and most folk use with the router jigs?

Metaba ROS - can't beat it. If you get one - buy the discs from your local Auto Paint or similar stockists. Damn cheaper than buying Metabo ones. Or buy some Abranet ones.

HIH

Dibs

I had the AEG EX150E it has been sent back 3 times. Engineer called me on Fri and said it's a rubbish design and they are going to give me my money back. Basically the pad is loose and wobbles around. I don't know if after 3 tries they can't be pineappled, or if it really is a rubbish design. I bought it as it looks identical to the Metabo but cheaper, obviously not.

Both of these sanders might be good for flat stuff, but are rubbish for smaller components or the edges of boards. Try holding them with one hand.

Get the Mirka, i know i will when i have enough dollar.

Dibs-h":1cf1g3n4 said:
Why not use those clamps that sit in router'd recesses underneath and most folk use with the router jigs?

If you get one - buy the discs from your local Auto Paint or similar stockists. Damn cheaper than buying Metabo ones. Or buy some Abranet ones.

HIH

Dibs

Hi Dibs

the worktop clamps you mention are great for std tops and I use them regularly, but no good for solid Mistral as it's 25mm thick and would be weakened too much.

the seaming clamps are based on a sucker system and I might have a go at making some up. Trouble is that I've got loas of work on and just got the ok for another kitchen tonight so time for me is an issue.
A pair of clamps would set me back £270 +vat but if it is the difference between a perfect job or second best then it's a no brainer. Just not sure yet :?

I already have a small supply of abranet discs which is what I'll buy. Thanks for the tip about the auto paint guys.

cheers

Bob

Get a Mirka if you can afford it. I've just upgraded from my Bosch GEX 150 and the difference is phenomenal.
So easy to use, lightweight and leaves an awesome finish.
There's nothing wrong with the glue blocks and clamps method mate. Used it all the time for pulling Corian joints nice and tight.

Adam

Mcluma":1d4whi5t said:
I would go for the mafell ros,

Works perfect

Its the same sander almost, its made for Mafell by Metabo they also make the Dewalt one too. The metabo in the pics below is the newer model not sure if the Mafell and Dewalt have been updated yet.

ut150e_popup.jpg
SXE450Turbo_1_web_popup.jpg
D26410_web_popup.jpg

I recently bought the AEG 150 ROS.
Took a chance on it being as good as the Metabo but considerably cheaper.
Used it a fair bit the last 2 months and no problems to report regarding loose disc pad.
Good solid machine that gives an excellent finish with superb dust extraction.
Mine came from Toolstation.

Mark

Aces and Eights":qqt3reu3 said:
Get a Mirka if you can afford it. I've just upgraded from my Bosch GEX 150 and the difference is phenomenal.
So easy to use, lightweight and leaves an awesome finish.
There's nothing wrong with the glue blocks and clamps method mate. Used it all the time for pulling Corian joints nice and tight.

Adam

Hi Adam

Which model Mirka did you buy?

I'm still wavering on the ROS, don't want to make a mistake and though the Metabo 450 turbo kit is favourite, I'm still looking.

It's a long time since I've fitted a solid worktop (apart from granite) so a bit out of practice but for when it comes to shelling out best part of £300 v free glued blocks, I think common sense might prevail :lol:

cheers

Bob

Surprised no-ones mentioned the festool. Excellent bit of kit, superb dust extraction and very little vibration

Alan Jones":rob97hj6 said:
Surprised no-ones mentioned the festool. Excellent bit of kit, excellent dust extraction and very little vibration

Too close to xmas to spend that sort of money :lol:

Alan Jones":3msbpo3t said:
Surprised no-ones mentioned the festool. Excellent bit of kit, superb dust extraction and very little vibration

Its no better the cheaper models, so if you ask me why spend more when you get just as good or better for less!

Latest posts

Back