Project: Second ever attempt at spindle turning.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
You probably know when I started to take up turning I had this idea to turn monster bowls, fortunately I chose a lathe that is versatile.
Last week after reading here I decided at having a go at spindle turning. What prompted me was the desire to make a teether/toy for my grandchild. As is obvious I had no idea how to do it so just went ahead solving the problems my limited experience caused as they arose.

Starting with a 100mmx100mm square x300mm long pear log I turned it between centres and marked by eye where I wanted the "globes".

P1010927.JPG

Here is the spindle with the two approximate globes.

P1010933.JPG

now to make a ring, for this I needed to construct a Heath Robinson jig to hold it. This forced me to go outboard as I did not have enough swing over the normal bed. Note the counterbalance on the right screwed to the original jig.

P1010935.JPG

Now I have a little bowl on a handle, maybe a spoon or a pipe :)

P1010938.JPG

Turn it over in the jig and do the other side.

P1010941.JPG

part off the ends.

P1010942.JPG

now ready for hand finishing.

P1010943.JPG

I hope you enjoy this.. I suspect there is a much easier way :)

Attachments

• P1010927.JPG
    P1010927.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,006
  • P1010933.JPG
    P1010933.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • P1010935.JPG
    P1010935.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • P1010938.JPG
    P1010938.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 1,006
  • P1010941.JPG
    P1010941.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 1,006
  • P1010942.JPG
    P1010942.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,006
  • P1010943.JPG
    P1010943.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,006
well I think given that's your second piece you've demonstrated massive ingenuity in creating what is quite a complex turning project. Your spheres are excellent and I applaud the whole approach. There may well be different approaches but what really stands out is the way you've systematically thought through the problems and designed a means to overcome them. Quite an inspiration, well done.

Hi

Very ingenious especially when it's only your second spindle turned project =D>

If I were to make it, I'd start with a rectangular section blank with a thickness equal to that of the small sphere diameter, cut out the rough outline using a band saw or coping saw - work holding to bore through the large ring would then be easier, I'd go for a jam chuck if I couldn't fit it into one of my scroll chucks . You also experience the ghosting effect induced by the cut surface not extending all around the blank when you turn the large ring.

Look forward to your next project - have fun

Regards Mick

Random Orbital Bob":36x8vsgc said:
well I think given that's your second piece you've demonstrated massive ingenuity in creating what is quite a complex turning project. Your spheres are excellent and I applaud the whole approach. There may well be different approaches but what really stands out is the way you've systematically thought through the problems and designed a means to overcome them. Quite an inspiration, well done.
That summed it up nicely.

Spindle":5lurxtrz said:
Hi

Very ingenious especially when it's only your second spindle turned project =D>

If I were to make it, I'd start with a rectangular section blank with a thickness equal to that of the small sphere diameter, cut out the rough outline using a band saw or coping saw - work holding to bore through the large ring would then be easier, I'd go for a jam chuck if I couldn't fit it into one of my scroll chucks . You also experience the ghosting effect induced by the cut surface not extending all around the blank when you turn the large ring.

Look forward to your next project - have fun

Regards Mick

Yes, a rectangle would have saved some wood. Precious pear wood . I don't have a scroll chuck and have not yet tried a jam chuck, That would have made centralising it easier perhaps but maybe the handle would have got in the way. What I did was put a screw through from the back of the centre of the jig (drilled from the tailstock) then drilled freehand into the centre of the large ball. Lined it up against the toolrest which was set at centreline height. So The centre of the ball was in effect screw chucked to the jig. Then the rest of the bits to hold it in place were screwed into the jig. Jig might be bit of an exaggeration as it was a short bit of plank screwed to a 6" faceplate.

Latest posts

Back