Apple hollow form, Critique & Comments welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
This is 9" (230mm) tall including the finial and is made from another piece of apple. C&C welcome as always.

Pete

hollow form apple 2.jpg
hollow form apple.jpg

Attachments

• hollow form apple 2.jpg
    hollow form apple 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,267
  • hollow form apple.jpg
    hollow form apple.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,267
Ooooo that's a waspy waste with a vengeance.

Could also see it appearing out of a low profile rustic base of some description (Skylon wise) so that the base/stand did not draw the eye down from the body.

Thank you both.

Chas, the base has been 'coloured' using a dark wax polish so it looks separate. I think I could/should have made it a bit thinner perhaps, may slim it down a bit. Like the idea of having it com out of a rustic piece though....plenty of the apple so may have a go at that.

Pete

I love the apple vase, but to my peasant eye the finial makes it a bit too "fussy"

But we are all very different, I like rustic, but I have a daughter in law who sees any irregularity or figure as being faults or blemishes. so looking for some very plain pale wood to make a pair of matching small bowls. I even took a look at using industrial plastic, but way too expensive.

woodfarmer":g0ckni4t said:
I love the apple vase, but to my peasant eye the finial makes it a bit too "fussy"

But we are all very different, I like rustic, but I have a daughter in law who sees any irregularity or figure as being faults or blemishes. so looking for some very plain pale wood to make a pair of matching small bowls. I even took a look at using industrial plastic, but way too expensive.

+1 Nice vase. IMO a simpler finial would fit better.

Woodfarmer - you need a to make two plywood bowls, no figure and as regular as clockwork :)

Brian

LOL. Some love the finial, some don't can't please all the people etc. Thanks for the comments though as they make me look again at what I make. I suspect that your daughter would hate most of my work woodfarmer, usually full of holes, splits, bits of bark etc.

Pete

Thank you Dalboy. It doesn't show too well in the photo but the foot is done so as to appear to be on a larger base which is polished with a dark wax. Must admit I am in two minds as to whether it is too thick but I'll leave it for a bit and see how I feel in a week or two.

Pete

Bodrighy":3w171a6y said:
LOL. Some love the finial, some don't can't please all the people etc. Thanks for the comments though as they make me look again at what I make. I suspect that your daughter would hate most of my work woodfarmer, usually full of holes, splits, bits of bark etc.

Pete

Mine also :) She has some Oak furniture so I made a very plain almost Japanesy looking bowl which blended well withher house decore. The fruit I made for her from Yew etc. was rejected in favour of the ones from an offcut from a pine gatepost which I used to practice on.

P1010946.JPG

Attachments

• P1010946.JPG
    P1010946.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 1,070
I like both form and finial (I am very partial to finials anyway) but the top of the finial, to me at least, is a little short and lacking finesse, your eye runs up the overall shape and seems to "fall off" at the top, it's almost as if it was longer but snapped and this was a rescue.

I am very much influenced by the aesthetics of the finials produced by Cindy Drozda though, admittedly they are very long, but to me they are also graceful and elegant, they are also in proportion to both the piece they decorate and themselves. Certainly I do try to base my own off hers in these regards.

You are right though Pete, they are very much a Marmite item among turners especially.

Back